Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Smoking a whole pork leg...

Smoking a whole pork leg...

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:52 pm
T-Rex well done
well done

I plan on pulling an all nighter this Friday and smoking a whole hog leg(rear) from a hog we harvested last fall. I am going to finally invest in a wireless temp gauge and plan on using it. I've done a whole leg before, but I wasn't very pleased with the results. Here are my ?'s.

1. Skin---on or off? I thought about removing it in order to apply rub then draping it back on to aid in basting.

2. I want to pull the meat(for sammiches), so what temp should it hit before I remove it from the smoker? I'm thinking 190. After removing from smoker, should I let it rest in a cooler and for how long?

The last time I did this the meat was too tough. Great tasting but not good for pulled pork sammies. I think I may have removed from smoker too soon. Any and all tips are appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:15 pm
sacmer well done
well done

I am curious about this too. I have a pork supplier that can get me whole legs of about 23 lbs (rear "leg" fresh not a "ham"). I was thinking of cooking it in the weber kettle (I do have the rotisserie ring extension for added depth).

How should these be cooked? Just to 170 or so and slice? Will these fresh legs pull like shoulders if you take them past 195?.

Thanks for any help.

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:27 pm
tcul72 medium-well
medium-well

sacmer wrote:
I am curious about this too. I have a pork supplier that can get me whole legs of about 23 lbs (rear "leg" fresh not a "ham"). I was thinking of cooking it in the weber kettle (I do have the rotisserie ring extension for added depth).

How should these be cooked? Just to 170 or so and slice? Will these fresh legs pull like shoulders if you take them past 195?.

Thanks for any help.

a whole leg is the Butt and the Picnic still together, so yes, you can take it to 195 and then pull it for sammy's. i have been comptiplating doing a whole shoulder or a small 25-30lb pig on my chargriller with SFB for labor day weekend. i'm gonna go to the butcher and set something up this weekend.

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:12 pm
rickkm5 well done
well done

The last shoulder i got had the skin on
well I cut the skin off and saved it , while i was doing the shoulder I already had the skin cut into smaller chunks (think pig ears ) and i put them on the upper rack fat side down and let them smoke the whole time also
well since i lost my dog several months ago, she was old ,and all the other dogs i have had over the yrs or friends have had i learned they loved the pig ears , but at 2 bucks a piece and having actual skin i just made them . the neighbors dogs really love me now , and no i didnt just give it to them , gave them to the owner and even offered to gnaw on them to prove they were nice and safe .
her dogs seem to wanna spend more time outside when i have the CG fired up for some reason also

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:40 pm
SmokeyDan medium-rare
medium-rare

T-Rex wrote:
1. Skin---on or off? I thought about removing it in order to apply rub then draping it back on to aid in basting.

I've done 'em both ways and they turn out equally good for our taste. The skin on tends to take a bit longer to cook.

I always pull these guys (unless I'm making buckboard bacon) so I like to take 'em to 200.

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:41 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I smoked a couple of whole shoulder a while back with skin on, and here is what I think:
1- Skin on gives a moister meat and it can be quite tasty
2- I cooked them until internal temp reached 195 and it pulled easily. The smoker temp was 225 degrees and it took 18 hrs to reach that tamp. The meat was very tender
3- There is no reason to rest it too long, just enough time for it to cool enough for pulling
4- I used Steven’s pulled pork mop sauce from HTG for basting.
Let me know if you have any additional questions.
Good luck
Image , Image

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:34 pm
Chris35 well done
well done

Z,

man that looks good

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:19 pm
T-Rex well done
well done

Looks too good. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be sure to take pics if my plans work out.

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:49 pm
mzungu70 well done
well done

Hi,

Wow they look good ........ I have a couple of legs cut quite short as i was going to cure them in a cider brine then cook them in coca cola.... I would love to smoke them but unfortunalteyl my grill is way tooooo small to fit those babies on board ....... They each weigh about 5kg each .......

Enjoy

dave
I Bar-B-Q to live and live to Bar-B-Q

Return to General Discussion