Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Beer Can Chicken

Beer Can Chicken

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:42 pm
jhill raw
raw

:?: Recently, a friend of mine asked " does the paint on the beer can cause any fumes or toxic vapors to get into or on the chicken when it gets hot?" I said I didn't know but would try to find out. Therefore I am hoping that I can get an answer here. :D Thanks in advance for any help you can give me on this intriguing question. Never really thought about it myself! J.

Post Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:32 am
joeunc

Also,, if anyone can answer this it would help... I was reading somewhere that the Berr Can Chicken didn't fit into a Webere 22.5 Kettle Charcoal. Someone said that the lid couldn't be closed of it was standing up. Is this true? Has anyone done the Beer Can Chicken,,indirect,, on the larger 22.5 Weber Charcoal kettlle?

thanks to all
Joe

Post Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:03 pm
barry

Good question that I hadn't though of either. I don't know the answer but I would think that anything in contact with the cavity wouldn't penetrate into the edible part of the chicken. Is it possible that something is vaporizing and settling on the surface? I guess it is possible. Are there any chemists out there that can tell us about the composition of a can and what might be released at high temperaures?
Regardless I would think that unless you eat beer can chicken three times a day (which I could) the quantitative exposure over many years is likely to be minimal.

Post Fri Jul 11, 2003 5:32 pm
leo

i've heard steven raichlen interviewed on tv and radio countless times and he always says that no, the paint and other elements on the can are not toxic. he says before he published the book, he had it tested by a lab.

i've eaten beer can chicken that i grilled myself on a weber 22.5 inch grill with the cover closed and i didn't die from toxic fumes. in fact, it tasted pretty good. :lol:

Post Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:17 pm
PaulP well done
well done

Your grill is not hot enough to affect the paint on a can. After all, you should be cooking the chicken at approx. 325 - 350 degrees F.

I have another safety concern about using a can. A can with a 3 - 4 lb chicken balenced on it is very likely to tip oover when disturbed, and the liquid contents are hot and possible flamable. That's why I use a commercially made vertical roaster instead of a can. The one I have is from Outlaw's Products. You can Google them.

Post Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:22 am

paint me neurotic, but I bought the "beer can chicken stand" from BBQs Garlore. I bought it to actually make beer can chicken in the oven, to try the recipe, before THOR <my kick-ass brinkmann 2700> was delivered.

It is a neat contraption, it is the same as those chicken or turkey stands for the bbq, but it has a well where the beer can sits. It was super easy to lift the chicken off to a platter. And upon inspection, there was no paint smudges on the inside of the chicken or the outside of the beer can. This weekend we are trying it on THOR :D

Yours in Grilling,
-Leah-

Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:28 am
stl-rich

I put a rub on the chicken and added some of the rub to the beer. I then stood the bird in a metal pie pan.

While the cooked bird rested, I combined the drippings in the pan with the contents of the beercan, de-greased it, thickened with cornstarch and had a wonderful gravy with my chicken.

I noticed some reccommend putting a potato in the neck of the chicken - anyone try that? Wouldn't an onion taste good!

Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:05 pm
chagan well done
well done

The liquid in the can will keep the temp from rising much above 212 degrees. It works something like this. The air in the grill is, say, 450 for example. This starts to increase the temp of the beer can which increases the temp of the liquid inside. This is a simple matter of energy (heat) transfer. Well, the temp of the liquid in the can can only rise to about 212 degrees Farenheit (for pure fresh water- anything else will raise the boiling/lower the freezing temp). At this point it cannot contain any more heat and it starts to boil passing on the heat transfer to the steam (physical reaction)- which is where the energy then goes. Since the energy is now being used to convert the boiling liquid into steam, it cannot be used any further to increase the temperature of the can- unless, you run out of fluid. I would estimate the the can does not exceed 250-275 at any point in the process. I have heard that it would take in the neighborhood of 700 degrees or more on an empty can for the chemicals/paint/emblem to be effected. Moral of the story is- don't place an empty can on the grill next to your food items. AND I have had oven stuffer roasters purched nicely under the lid of my Weber Kettle- to answer the other part of the question. I do however use chicken sitters like the other poster for pure stability purposes. Good luck to all!

Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:33 am
starpacker medium-rare
medium-rare

jhill wrote:
:?: Recently, a friend of mine asked " does the paint on the beer can cause any fumes or toxic vapors to get into or on the chicken when it gets hot?" I said I didn't know but would try to find out. Therefore I am hoping that I can get an answer here. :D Thanks in advance for any help you can give me on this intriguing question. Never really thought about it myself! J.

Don't worry about the paint on the can. If you ever saw the old party trick of boiling water in a business card, you would understand. The container cannot get hotter than the liquid inside it, and 212 degrees F is way, way below the ignition point of the dried paint, actually a silk-screening ink.

(Fold up small sides on a business card, half fill it with water, then hold a match or Bic underneath it, in a few seconds, the water will boil, and the card will not even be scorched.)

Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:21 pm
TOMP rare
rare

I make the BC chicken quite often on my Weber grill (22.5) I have had no problems, although once, the lid did touch the top of the chickens. But they still came out great! You do have to be sure to cook them in the center where the lid is the deepest.

You could purchase the rotesserie attachment ($99) This woul raise your sides about 12", giving you plenty of height for chickens or even a turkey.

Good Luck!!

Tom

Post Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:23 pm
scotts raw
raw

Thanks everyone!

Scott

Post Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:39 pm
jcharpentier well done
well done

Or put it on the Charcoal grate it works also

Post Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:55 am