Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion How long to smoke chicken wings + recipe

How long to smoke chicken wings + recipe

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:05 pm

Folks I want to cook some chicken wings in my offset firebox smoker and would like to know how long and at what temperature I need to smoke that at? Also would like to have a good receipe for Buffalo Wings? Thanks,

Paul

Post Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:13 pm
ottoblotto medium
medium

Well Paul, I am from buffalo. You need to smoke at a higher temp than normal. The wings are not going to break down much. The only reason to smoke wings is to get that light smoke flavor.

Are you smoking frozen from the bag, or fresh wings?

If frozen, cook direct heat with wood chips of your preference will be fine.

If fresh, then lower temp. (250ish) for a couple hours. But you need to finish over direct heat. After smoking lather or dunk with Franks wing sauce (or get hot sauce mixed with melted butter) and sear until crisp. If you have your own sauce use that and add Frank's. You will have them eating out of your hand!

Good Luck!

Go Bills!
All seasons are for BBQ'in! Grill On!
Butts-n-Ashes.com

Post Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:38 pm

Thanks for the information. Never heard of Franks Wing Sauce but I will look for it and see if I can find it. If I cook them in the smoker for two hours at 250 degrees (in that range) and then put them on the gas grill over direct heat how long would you leave them on direct heat? Can I assume that they will be cooked after coming off of the smoker for two hours and I am just crisping them up on the gas grill for a few minutes?

Thanks a million,

Paul

Post Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:25 am
crmos8 well done
well done

Frank's Red Hot sauce should be pretty much available everywhere. I believe it's made by Durkee, but don't quote me on that. It's a vinegar-based, cayenne pepper style sauce. In this neck of the woods it's widely used by just about all the 1.5 million wing joints in this town (or at least it seems like there's that many)............. :wink:
If you're not the lead dog, the view's always the same.

Post Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:33 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Here's a recent thread on wings that should give you all the sauce ideas you need.
As for smoking they do smoke just fine, but the skin gets rubbery, which lets face it is possibly the best part of wings, so I'd also suggest smoking them until very close to done then throwing them over high heat to crisp the skin. Just keep them moving to avoid flareups when over direct heat.

Post Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:53 pm

I have never seen it down here in Central Arkansas but then again I have not looked for it. I will see if any of the local markets have it. Thanks

crmos8 wrote:
Frank's Red Hot sauce should be pretty much available everywhere. I believe it's made by Durkee, but don't quote me on that. It's a vinegar-based, cayenne pepper style sauce. In this neck of the woods it's widely used by just about all the 1.5 million wing joints in this town (or at least it seems like there's that many)............. :wink:

Post Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:54 pm

I don't see a link to the thread you are referring to, am I missing something. Thanks

Grand Scale wrote:
Here's a recent thread on wings that should give you all the sauce ideas you need.
As for smoking they do smoke just fine, but the skin gets rubbery, which lets face it is possibly the best part of wings, so I'd also suggest smoking them until very close to done then throwing them over high heat to crisp the skin. Just keep them moving to avoid flareups when over direct heat.

Post Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:13 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Post Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:03 pm
chagan well done
well done

I believe that we discussed this earlier as well, if you can't find Frank's or Durkees, look for Crystal- they are all closely related if not identical.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:46 pm
cmcadams well done
well done

I like to do smo-fried wings... I fry them just until the skin starts to crisp, then finish them on the smoker, then add sauce for the last 15 minutes to let it cook on a bit. So far, it's been my favorite way to make wings, and I get good skin that way.
Curt M
Bucky McOinkum's BBQ
Website
Blog

Post Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:37 pm
mrgrumpy well done
well done

Franks is the way to go.... I myself like it straight, my wife loves it with honey... I make it half honey half franks. It is a nice sweet spicey taste. After I cook the wings, I let them cool slightly, put them in a gallon plastic bag, dump in the sauce, and mix. Dump on the plate and enjoy....

I have done wings for years on the gasser, and using only Franks, and tons of people that have tried them want my recipe.... I only tell them that is a secret blend, and can't disclose it. Truth is, it is a secret blend. I don't know what proportions that they mix what in the Franks..... so.......

Bill

Post Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:10 pm
SmokeyDan medium-rare
medium-rare

This one always wins "backyard competitions":

Inside-out hot wings

2 sticks of butter
1 cup chicken stock (or can of beer)
hot sauce (I like El Yucateco Red or Bee Sting)
Cajun seaoning
Injector
Apple Cider
2 dozen whole chicken wings (tips removed or leave 'em for handles)

Heat chicken stock to melt butter with hot sauce (to your desired level) and mix in a tablespoon of cajun rub.
Allow to cool (but not too cool or butter will harden).
Rinse wings and pat dry with paper towels.
Inject wings with mixture (one shot in each section)
Lightly coat wings with Cajun seasoning.
Prepare smoker.
Smoke for 2-3 hours at 220. Mist every 1/2 hour with cider.

I did not create the recipe but cannot recall the author.

Post Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:49 pm

Post Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:51 pm

Another good recipe and method, love it. Thanks, Paul

SmokeyDan wrote:
This one always wins "backyard competitions":

Inside-out hot wings

2 sticks of butter
1 cup chicken stock (or can of beer)
hot sauce (I like El Yucateco Red or Bee Sting)
Cajun seaoning
Injector
Apple Cider
2 dozen whole chicken wings (tips removed or leave 'em for handles)

Heat chicken stock to melt butter with hot sauce (to your desired level) and mix in a tablespoon of cajun rub.
Allow to cool (but not too cool or butter will harden).
Rinse wings and pat dry with paper towels.
Inject wings with mixture (one shot in each section)
Lightly coat wings with Cajun seasoning.
Prepare smoker.
Smoke for 2-3 hours at 220. Mist every 1/2 hour with cider.

I did not create the recipe but cannot recall the author.

Post Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:52 pm

Ok Guys I get the picture, Franks is the way to go now I just have to ferret it out.

Paul

mrgrumpy wrote:
Franks is the way to go.... I myself like it straight, my wife loves it with honey... I make it half honey half franks. It is a nice sweet spicey taste. After I cook the wings, I let them cool slightly, put them in a gallon plastic bag, dump in the sauce, and mix. Dump on the plate and enjoy....

I have done wings for years on the gasser, and using only Franks, and tons of people that have tried them want my recipe.... I only tell them that is a secret blend, and can't disclose it. Truth is, it is a secret blend. I don't know what proportions that they mix what in the Franks..... so.......

Bill

Return to General Discussion