Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Beef eye of round - Roast or pulled?

Beef eye of round - Roast or pulled?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:45 pm
Attrill well done
well done

I've slow roasted beef eye of round a bunch of times with really great results (cooked to internal of 130 or so), but I'm cooking a pork shoulder and eye of round and am thinking of slow cooking the beef up to 190 or so and pulling it for sandwiches.

Has anyone done this with eye of round? I'm thinking of wrapping some bacon around it as well.

Post Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:58 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

Eye round is pretty lean and dense muscle. If I were you I might go with a chuck or even a rump. I'm not sure eye has any striations to "pull."

Let me know if I'm wrong :wink:
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:16 pm
sacmer well done
well done

I agree with phillyjazz. Eye of round is not a cut with a lot of collagen tissue to break down like chuck. It is lean muscle. I think the higher temp you take it to the tougher it will be. IMHO it will be shoe leather at 190. It is best to remove it med rare and thin slice for sandwiches etc.

If you want pulled beef then cook a big chuck or clod.

Post Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:34 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I treat it like a pork tenderloin.

300-325 until it reads 125* or so and let it rest 10-20 minutes and slice
1/4 or less.

Shaved, it makes a great sammich!!
A little fresh horseradish, some muenster cheese and garlicky aioli, its heaven on a kaiser!

Got 2 vac packed in the freezer as we speak. ($1.89 a pound!!! :D )

-YB
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:48 pm
Attrill well done
well done

Thanks! I've always done it as a roast - indirect grilled, and then thin sliced for sandwiches. I'll just keep doing what I've been doing.

I was thinking I might be able to avoid the slicing part by making pulled/chopped beef - it's really hot here now and I'm feeling lazy :D

Return to General Discussion