Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion How long can rubbed ribs sit before cooking?

How long can rubbed ribs sit before cooking?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
meateater medium
medium

I checked the Barbecued RIbs FAQ and I didn't find an answer to this question.

I'm going to try Steven's First-timer's Ribs from RROR tomorrow on my Weber kettle. I've got all the stuff I need to follow Steven's recipe exactly, which is my objective for my first attempt to cook ribs using the 325 to 350 indirect charcoal grilling method that Steven describes in RROR. The recipe says this takes 1.25 to 1.5 hours, so I plan to start my charcoal around 10:30 AM and have the food on the table between noon and 01:00 PM.

I picked up three racks of loin backs at Costco today. I've got two questions to start with.

First question: These ribs are packed wet in heavy sealed plastic. They are not dry as they normally are at the grocery store meat counter. Do I need to open these up, rinse and pat them dry, and let them sit in an open pan in the fridge to dry them out some before I rub them?

Second question: What is the longest time I should allow the dry rub to sit in contact with the ribs? That is, once I rub them, do I need to cook them within some certain number of hours? Can I put the rub on before going to bed and leave it on 10 or 12 hours, or should I wait and put the rub on early tomorrow morning?

I'm getting hungry just thinking about eating ribs tomorrow. :)

Post Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:53 pm
meateater medium
medium

Ahhh. This Virtual Weber Bullet site has good info on ribs... including a description of prepping cryovac'd warehouse food store loin back ribs. Cool. 8)

Post Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:13 am
bstein well done
well done

I rinse mine off and dry them with paper towels. Then I rub them and cover with plastic wrap. I let them sit in fridge for 24 hours usually. I have never smoked ribs that were rubbed for less than 6 hours. The 24 hr ribs I think are better.

Post Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:31 am
meateater medium
medium

Thanks, bstein. I decided at about 10:00 PM to just go ahead and rub 'em. They'll have 12 or so hours on them by the time I get them going on the grill. I didn't rinse them. I just patted them dry of blood after I pulled the membranes and trimed them up. Then I applied the rub, patted it in, and put the ribs in a pan in the fridge.

I think I'm going to go get them back out now and wrap them in plastic wrap. I'd forgotten about that.

Post Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:18 pm
Trout medium
medium

bstein wrote:
I rinse mine off and dry them with paper towels. Then I rub them and cover with plastic wrap. I let them sit in fridge for 24 hours usually. I have never smoked ribs that were rubbed for less than 6 hours. The 24 hr ribs I think are better.

I usually go for around 24 hours, but if my rub has a lot of salt, I might just cut that time down.

Post Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:44 am
BowMeHunter74 medium-rare
medium-rare

I apply the rub right before smoking, and the flavor is much better to me. It also allows me to cut back on the amount of rub I use this way., you don't need as much. I also apply a mustad slather before the rub is applied.

Post Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:32 am
meateater medium
medium

First-timer's Ribs. My first time ever for smoke-roasting ribs on charcoal. I was mostly faithful to the recipe, although I modified the rub a little.

The ribs came out good enough to eat, but there were a few things about them that I think I could easily improve on. I'll post pics and a better explanation tomorrow, but basically, the main improvements fall into the categories of reducing saltiness, greatly eliminating tartness in the sauce, and better control of the fire, especially right at the end while saucing. .

I ate beaucoup anyway and have a bunch left for consumption tomorrow.

Pics coming by the 4th. I'm gonna do a butt on Tuesday.

Return to General Discussion