Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Willingham's Wham Spice

Willingham's Wham Spice

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:14 pm
repoman rare
rare

Has anyone used Willingham's Wham spices as a rib rub? I recieved a jar of it and woud like to try it out but I want to see what others think of it. It has a strange smell - very strong but I believe it is supposed to mellow as the meat smokes.

Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:51 pm
nwmud medium-well
medium-well

let us know what you think of it. I have never heard of it.

Ritch
Weber Gold C, Kamado, Chargriller w/sfb, Little Chief , Turkey Deep fryer, quick-adjust outdoor grill and so much more

Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:58 pm
BowMeHunter74 medium-rare
medium-rare

Sorry I can't help you. I'm on the look out for a good rub, but one that I would piece together by scratch. I would love to hear your results with the Rub. Good Luck!

Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:05 pm
Halfsmoke medium
medium

Well, I just ordered his cookbook:John Willinghams World Champion Bar B Q,along with Steven Raichlens Sauces,Rubs,Marinades,Bastes,Butters,and Glazes.
From what I read about him,Mr. Willingham Most definately knows his Q,and has some serious trophys to prove it!
When I get the books,i'll try some recipes out and let everyone know how they are. :D
Proud member of P.E.T.A.
People Eating Tasty Animals! ;)

Post Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:02 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Halfsmoke wrote:
From what I read about him,Mr. Willingham Most definately knows his Q,and has some serious trophys to prove it!
I'm pretty sure he's mentioned by name in one of SR's books...maybe BCC or BBQ USA?

Brad

Post Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:31 am
repoman rare
rare

I will try it out on some spare ribs or a shoulder on Saturday and post my results.

Post Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:34 am
repoman rare
rare

Well it took me a few weeks but I finally had a day that I could dedicate to BBQ. I had two racks of spare ribs, one I dry rubbed with Steven's BBQ rib rub recipe and the other with the Willingham's Wham. The smell of the Willingham's is very strong and I was worried that the smell would overpower the ribs. 1

I used the 3-2-1 method and both racks looked and smelled amazing. I sprayed with Bourbon every so often and used a mix of cherry, apple, and hickory for smoke.

I tried one of each with no sauce and though the ones made with Steven's recipe rub were great as usual, but I actually preferred the Willingams rub. They were outstanding. By far the best ribs I have made so far (I have only had my smoker for a little over a year). The powerful smell had completely mellowed during the 6 hour smoke. I then cut the two slabs into 2-rub sections and glazed them on the grill with some homemade bourbon BBQ sacue and served them to my wife and the in-laws. Everyone loved both kinds of ribs but my wife also leaned towards the Willingham's rubbed ones.

I kind of feel like I am cheating using a pre-mixed rub but I will definitly order some more of the Willingham's for use every once in a while.

I had some extra room on the smoker so I split a chicken in half and rubbed half with Penzey's Cajun spice and the other with leftover rub (Steven's). This was my first attempt at poultry on the smoker and the results were awesome.

Post Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:35 pm
MaineiacSmoker well done
well done

Sounds like a successful comparison.....Do you have any pics to show us?????

Cheers,

Dave

CB 45K Gasser
Modified CG w/ SFB

Post Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:28 pm
repoman rare
rare

I was doing yard work and completely forgot to snap some pics. Next time I will be sure to have the digital camera.

Return to General Discussion