Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Chipotles

Chipotles

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:20 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Hey ya'll I smoked eight jalapeno peppers until they shriveled & dried. They're very dark in color as you've seen if you looked at my webpage in the Show Case discussion. So I'm supposing that I have Chipotles on hand.

What would you suggest I use them to make?

Thanks.

Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:15 pm

Bob,

What's your web site??

Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:56 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

As posted under the topic "Barbecue Show Case" it's http://www.romineinc.com/BBQ/index.htm . Also the "WWW" button at the bottom of my posts will take you there. There are currently two pages. If you would like to see some Quein' of other members you can read through the thread. You may also wish to read "Q Log" discussion since documentation and documentary photos go hand-in-hand. A little extra work but well work the effort.
Last edited by Bob-BQN on Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:07 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Here is a party favorite:

Smoked Salsa

Ingredients:
3 bell or pablano peppers
Chipotle to taste
4 large tomatoes
2 medium onions
2 green jalapeños
1 clove of garlic minced
1/2 cup fresh cilantro- chopped
1/2 cup of lime juice
¼ tsp ground cumin
3 tbs olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Brush the green peppers, tomatoes, onions, and jalapeños with the olive oil and place them in 220-degree smoker. Smoke the veggies for about 11/2 hour or until smoky and soft. Place the smoked veggies in a food processor and add the remaining ingredients. Process the mixture until smooth. Chill and serve with favorite chips or with fajitas.

Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:26 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Here is another Chipotle Recipe:

Chipotle Aioli (Mayo):

2 Cups of stored bought or home made Mayo
3 tbs of lemon juice
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/4 cup chopped green onions
Chipotle to taste (if using dry chipotle, soak in vinegar until soft)
Salt and pepper to taste
A dash of chili powder
Place the chipotles in a food processor and process until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Store in the refrigerator.
Use as spread on sandwiches/hamburger or top poached eggs or use as Mayo substitute.
You can also add the mixture to Ranch dressing with some pieces of bacon and top your favorite salad.

Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:54 pm
Doobus medium
medium

How about:
Put one jar of good-quality raspberry preserves, maybe a splash of tequila and all the chipotles (seeds & all) into the blender. Blend until it makes a smooth, thick sauce. Pour this over room-temperature Philly cream cheese and serve with tortilla chips.
"Your focus determines your reality."

Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:01 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

What wood did you use?

Chipotles are traditionally smoked with pecan at a very low temp for a long time.
Kind of like a smokey dehydrator.

How do yours taste compared to the canned version?

Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:11 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I didn't know at the time that pecan was traditional for smoking chipotles. I just threw them in with the rest of the stuff I was smoking. It just happens that I was using pecan wood at the time. So I guess I got lucky.

This is my first encounter with chipotles. I've not had any store brands before. In-fact, I haven't even had any of Jack-in-the-Box's chi-poodle sauce so I’m not able to make a comparison. That's why I'm looking for some tried & true ideas from that gang.

I’m liking what I see so far. Salsa is a favorite by all in the family, I would favor a spicy mayo (I like it with horseradish), and I have a couple raspberries bushes in the yard which would make a great sauce!

Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:48 am
chagan well done
well done

I usually take my chipotles and rehydrate them and blanch them overnight to remove the smoke flavor- turning them into jalapenos.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:30 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Sounds like you're trying to turn them into bells :shock:

Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:49 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

A local seafood place I enjoy uses them in a mayonaise sauce that they put on chimichangas. Awesome stuff that sauce is and I can imagine it would be great on a number of things grilled.

Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:20 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Take a can of chipotles in adobo toss it in a blender, whizz it up and use the puree to kick up almost anything from the afore mentioned mayo to chipotle ketchup. Add it to ranch or blue cheese dressing for a real treat.

Kicks up all tomato based dishes with a real mellow smokey heat.

If you smoked yours until they were good dry and brittle grind ina processor and sprinke on food or add to your rub. Homemade has got to be less expensive than store bought.
(fresher too)

Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:19 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

They're great in Chili!

Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:41 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I thought that was a given!

Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:19 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Yard,
You’re absolutely correct. I do the same thing with my BBQ sauce, and it come out perfect.

Next

Return to General Discussion