Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Burger patty recipe: No bread crumbs?

Burger patty recipe: No bread crumbs?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:45 am
Offroader raw
raw

Dear Steven:
I'm new to grilling, but thanks to your book "How to grill", I've been able to make excellent brined pork chops, chicken breasts, grilled tomatoes and smoked potatoes.

For my next grilling, I plan to make something a little more simple: burgers.

I've seen that most people add eggs, chopped onions or bread crumbs to the patty to keep them from falling apart, but in your book you don't add any ingredients to the patty besides ground beef.

What's your advice?

Thanks in advance! :D

Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:36 pm
stripegrill medium
medium

Offroader Welcome to the Nuttiest Board you will ever find! When I make my patties at home I have used just a little bit of water to keep them together (say about a TBSP per pound). This is not exact but it seems to work for me.

Welcome again!

Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:58 pm
spfranz well done
well done

I haven't had a problem with them staying together. I always use hamburger that has at least 20% fat. After you flatten them out to the desired thickness, put a small hole (about the size of your little finger) in the middle. I believe I got that trick from one of Steve's books. It keeps the burgers from getting fat in the middle and allows them to cook more evenly.

Final point, don't press them with a spatula while cooking. I don't know why people do this. The only thing it does is squeeze all the juice out. Oh yeah, don't over cook them either.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:57 am
dkirn well done
well done

I personally do not like any kind of "binders" in my burgers. I use either ground chuck or ground sirloin and use only meat, salt, pepper, Lea & Perkins and Mrs. Dash

Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:45 am
hickory pete well done
well done

Offroader,
Welcome to the board,,This is a great place and a lot of people who "share the obsession". No "fillers" in my burgers. If they are pressed together carefully, and left on the grill long enough before they are turned over, they will stay together. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, and have nice thick slabs of onion ready to put on the finished burger... :D
Last edited by hickory pete on Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:02 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Oooo...make mine a nice thick slab of grilled onions!!! :D

Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:14 am
Offroader raw
raw

Thanks for all the great answers!!
Another question:
I love pork, and a friend of mine recommends I use 60% ground beef and 40% ground pork.

Has anyone ever tried this?

Thanks again!!

Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:21 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Offroader,

We've never done this with 'straight-up' hamburgers, but we do combine a mixture of beef and pork when making spaghetti or lasagna and it adds a dimension to the flavor that I like. Has your friend that recommended this made them before? If not, it may be worth it to try one or two and give us your opinion.

Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:55 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Offroader,

Although I don't mix for my burgers, I would imagine that it wouldn't be much different than mixing venison and pork for burgers. I realize that venison is very lean and that would be the major difference. Sounds like it would be very tasty, maybe using some spicy ground pork might add to the flavor. I would suggest giving it a try and be ready for flare-ups. Let us know how it works out.

Pete

Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:09 pm
PaulP well done
well done

OK!...I gotta weigh in on the "extra ingredients" side (Note: I did not say "fillers".) I always add the following to my hamburger patties: onion,garlic, ketchup and worcestershire sauce. Sometimes, I'll also add Italian Seasoning. I may alsoadd an egg yolk as a binder.

IMO, plain ground beef burgers are bland and the additrions above add mucho flavor. Serve with your favorite condiments and add-ons.

PaulP
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:49 pm
chagan well done
well done

I have used the beef/pork combo when I make meaty balls. It does make a nice combo, so I guess that you are making meatball sandwiches :) Also, as mentioned, use a higher percentage fat content when planning on making burgers and don't pack them too tight- this will keep them nice and juicy. I usually add kosher or sea salt, fresh ground black pepper, a dash of worsteshiesterer sauce, and on the last occasion I added a bit of horseradish as per a recipe from Emeril (Bam Burgers). They came out very nice. Of course you can put dog food on a potato roll and still be impressed. :D
Last edited by chagan on Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:33 am
dkirn well done
well done

The only experience I have with the beef and pork mixture is with Italian cooking - mainly in meat balls as stated by chagan above. They come out great and have a very distinct flavor, but I never thought about using it for a hamburger - I will have to give it a try.

Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:27 pm
stripegrill medium
medium

I like to use beef and pork in my chili. Of course I tend to use spicy pork and even some chorizo. Never tried to mix it for a burger though. I like the way that sounds!

Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:11 pm

I like to use ground chuck, mixed gently with Worshshire, kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, and Texas Pete Hot Sauce. I dont use much of the Worshshire and the Texas Pete, just enought to give it a little kick. I then gently form the meat in to pattys, generously salt both sides and slap those bad boys on the grill. They turn out so juicy! The secret and I think Steven mentions in his book BBQ Bible, is to gently form the patty. If they are compressed into hockey pucks, they wont turn out as good. Ok, now I'm hungry!
"I'm just another, Beer Drinking, Good Time Having, Regular Guy" - Quote from my apron

Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:12 pm
spfranz well done
well done

Here's a recipe that you might like. It uses Steve's Bacon Onion Butter which I'm guessing anyone reading this forum has the recipe for. The difference here is that they're smoked before they're grilled. The butter keeps them juicy. Not your quick burger, but pretty tasty.

Scott

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smoked Hamburgers

The following recipe is for 8 burgers (each just over 1/3 pound). Alter accordingly. Use three pounds of ground chuck. Don’t use lean beef, you want the fat in it.

Make the rub as follows:

1 ½ tablespoons paprika
½ tablespoon ground black pepper
½ tablespoon salt
½ tablespoon sugar
¾ teaspoon chili powder
¾ teaspoon granulated garlic
¾ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper

Mix all ingredients together in a shaker bottle.

----------------------------------------------------

Make Steve's Bacon Onion Butter (recipe in the Rubs and Marinades book)

----------------------------------------------------

Make the burgers as follows:

Divide the ground beef into 8 equal portions. Divide the butter into 8 equal portions as well. Divide each chunk of meat into to thin patties. Don’t worry about making them bigger, they don’t shrink and get fat with this method.

Spread one piece of the butter over one of the thin patties and place the other patty on top. Seal the edges good all the way around and then make a small hole in the center of the whole burger. Repeat for other burgers.

Sprinkle the burger patties with the rub. Reserve some of the rub if you want to for extra seasoning later. Cover them with plastic wrap and put them in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.

Remove from refrigerator and let sit at room temp for 15 minutes. Smoke them at 200 to 220 for about 1 hour. Remove to a plate, crank the heat on your grill up to about 450 and toss the burgers on for about a minute on each side to give them a nicely grilled crust.
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Next

Return to General Discussion