Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion HELP - COUNTRY STYLE RIBS

HELP - COUNTRY STYLE RIBS

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:19 am

Grilling out at work today. I was told we were gonna do something simple like burgers, dogs, brats (etc). Now I have a pack of country style ribs looking back at me. :oops:

Smoking is not an option today. Anyone know what would be the best way to prepare these to save face? Grilled or in the oven are my only two choices.

Please help! :(
Ole Smokey
www.olesmokeybbq.blogspot.com

Chargriller Super Pro w/SFB
WSM

Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:28 am
Susan Z well done
well done

Well, you can cook them indirect (might take 2 hours) or direct (might take an hour). This looks like a good recipe (you';ll have to mop rather than marinade I guess)

Carolina Country Style Ribs

1 1/2 to 2 pounds boneless country-style ribs
2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 cup cold water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons molasses or 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon Kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Cooking Directions
Place ribs in a large bowl or resealable plastic bag, set aside. In 4-cup glass measure, stir together vinegar, water, oil, molasses, salt, red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper until salt is dissolved. Remove 1/2 cup marinade; set aside. Add remaining marinade to ribs; seal bag and marinate for 4 - 6 hours in the refrigerator. Remove ribs from marinade; discard marinade.

Prepare medium-hot fire; grill ribs over indirect heat for 50 to 60 minutes or until pork is tender and the internal temperature reaches 160º F. Baste ribs twice with reserved sauce mixture during last 15 minutes of grilling.
Serves 6.

Serving Suggestions
Give a vinegar-based sauce a try with these hearty ribs. Serve with hush puppies, corn on the cob, baked beans, and your favorite cornbread.

Here's an oven recipe. You could sear them on the grill and finish in the oven.

BARBEQUE COUNTRY STYLE RIBS

Brown six country-style pork ribs. Place ribs in an oven casserole and set aside.

In same fry pan, brown:

Add: 3 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce 2/3 c. water 2 tbsp. brown sugar 1/2 c. catsup 1 tbsp. mustard (no more) Salt and pepper

Bring to a boil. Pour over ribs in casserole. Bake covered at 325 degrees for 2 hours. Serve with salad and rice. Can be used in crock pot but reduce water to zero. Makes 4 servings.

Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:31 am
Susan Z well done
well done

Don't know what kind of ingredients you have handy. Here's an indirect version (I'm sure you could use a regular bbq sauce with any of these recipes---just don't burn it when doing direct grilling)

Country-Style Ribs with Jalapeno-Peach Sauce

4 pounds pork country-style ribs
1 29-oz. can peach slices in heavy syrup, undrained
3 tablespoons chili sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons steak sauce
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 jalapeno chiles*, seeded and minced

Cooking Directions
In blender container, or food processor, place peaches, chili sauce, sugar, vinegar, steak sauce, oil, cumin, salt and pepper; blend until smooth. Pour into a medium saucepan, stir in jalapeno and heat through, stirring, over low heat. Prepare a banked medium-hot fire in kettle-style grill. Grill ribs over indirect heat for 2 hours, brushing with peach sauce several times during last 30 minutes of grilling. Bring remaining sauce to a boil, boil 2 minutes and serve on side with ribs.

Serves 6-8.

Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:33 am
Susan Z well done
well done

Don't ask me why these cook so fast in this recipe!

Country-Style Ribs
Serves: 3 to 4

1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups sweetened applesauce
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
4 pounds country-style pork ribs

1. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.

2. In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes, or until tender. Add the applesauce, ketchup, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard; mix well.

3. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer the sauce for 10 minutes, until thickened; reserve and set aside 1-1/2 cups of sauce.

4. Brush the ribs with the remaining sauce and place on the grill. Close the grill cover, and grill the ribs for 15 to 20 minutes, until browned and cooked thoroughly, turning frequently and basting in the first 10 minutes of grilling with any remaining sauce. Serve immediately with the reserve sauce.

Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:34 am
Susan Z well done
well done

Here's a very straightforward one:

Country Style Ribs

4 pounds country-style ribs
Barbecue sauce
Salt and pepper to season
1 cups vinegar
1 cups water
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder

Combine the vinegar, water and spices.

Cut ribs into 1-rib portions. Place a large piece of foil over the coals to catch drippings. Place ribs on grill about 6 inches above coals, or gas grill unit. Season with salt and pepper. Close hood and cook for 10 minutes. Baste the ribs, turn them, and baste the other side. Repeat this every 10 minutes; closing the hood in between basting. Cook a total of 50 minutes, then brush on the bottled sauce the last 15 minutes or until the ribs are done.

Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:09 am

I usually cook my ribs (covered with foil) for 4 hours at 250 in the oven. They will be unbelievably tender and sure to please! You can probably kick up the heat to 300 and they will get done sooner, but still be tender. I always baste them in Dale's Seasoning Sauce. Good luck.
Jen

Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:06 pm
Susan Z well done
well done

So...what did you end up doing?

Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:59 pm

Thanks for all the help. They caught me off-guard with this. Like I said, I was ready for burgers and dogs. I did not bring any of my rub or comfort items.

I work at our local Emergency Management Agency near an Army chemical weapons incinerator and we have enough food and beverages to house 90 people for up to 5 days if needed. But did not have what I needed. Gotta fix that before we get stuck here one week.

Anyway, I found some Lawry's and put that on them and cooked them direct and they looked pretty good. I let everyone else go eat while I soak up some A/C. Maybe they will leave the cook a little bit to munch on.

Thanks again for all the help. This page is getting printed out and if they ever throw me in front of this bus again, I'LL BE READY!! 8)
Ole Smokey

WSM

Post Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:53 am

As a followup, everything went better than I expected. It appears we will be having one of these cookouts at least once a month and yours truly will be the head chef. :wink:

Everyone said it went great and the food was delicious. I am still getting complements from coworkers. I was a little scared about the chicken because I did not have my meat thermo with me and had to just go by feel and observation. Nobody has died so I guess I hit the mark. :)

Here is what we ended up having for lunch:

*Country Style Ribs
*Chicken (thighs)
*Brats (beer simmered)
*Budan (sp) - cajun sausage
*Baked beans
*Potato Salad

Unless there are any objections, I would like to post the Country Rib recipes you posted on this thread to my bbq blog site. You guys gave me some great ideas. I knew I could count on you. Thanks again.
Ole Smokey

WSM

Post Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:51 pm
Susan Z well done
well done

Guys?! I think it was just us grrrls, lol!

:D

Post Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:03 pm

I stand corrected. :oops: Allow me to rephrase, "You gals gave me some great ideas."

I must have had smoke in my eyes, you think? I'll try to be more careful next time. :D

Thanks again.
Ole Smokey

WSM

Return to General Discussion