Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion chuck roast

chuck roast

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:03 pm
bbqnsocal rare
rare

did you wrap it at some point?

Post Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:50 am
MarinesFinest medium
medium

yea dont leave us hanging what all did you do to it and what temps comeon man hook us up with the info :p

Post Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:04 am
KBHALE medium-well
medium-well

Thanks for the pix. I used this cut last weak to make Philly steak. The cut comes from the upper shoulder neck region. It tends to be a though cut of meat. You can pat your self on the back. You did some good smoking for it to come out tender.
KBHALE

Post Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:59 am
Jackalope well done
well done

Looks awesome, Smokey. I'm a chuck fan myself, but always did it in the slo=cooker(those old fashioned West Bends I've relied on the past 23 years in a pinch!). Never grilled it and now that's my next assignment (after some baby backs). So yeah, tell us how you did it! Looks like you did a super job - kudos!

Post Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:03 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I did one few weeks ago, but I grilled mine. I Jaccard it first, and then marinated overnight, and then grilled it using a three-zone fire. When it reached medium-rare, I let rest for few minutes, and then sliced it thinly across the grain; it was very juicy and tender (unbelievably tender for this cut). I think I’ll grill it from now on, instead of smoking it.

Post Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:50 am
Susan Z well done
well done

Yep, some folks do chuck rolls (the big gigantic piece the chuck roasts come from) low and slow and then pull 'em just like pulled pork! I hear they're greasier, and I don't think you take the internal temp as high as you do pulled pork (I do 200-205 for that) but they love 'em.

Post Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:19 pm
Ghost_of_winter medium-well
medium-well

I wonder if I should mention that I did shredded beef from an 8 and a 7 pound chuck roll for christmas. ;) actually I am planning on doing a whole chuckroll This summer I think for a party. not sure on this yet....

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:16 am
jaybo medium-well
medium-well

I've seen some mention of that Jaccard thing. Does it really seem to work??? would be neat if someone jaccarded half a steak, marinaded, then tried to detect any difference in final product. It seems like it could work--I'm just curious.

Also, if someone is going to do a chuckroll for a party, I'd do it a good week or so in advance, freeze the meat, then make sure it has plenty of time to defrost on party day. I've done 3 cr's and they are seriously labor intensive. Takes a long time to shred it, then I go through about 20 or so paper towels blotting up most of the grease, then you gotta bag it, freeze it. Too much to do on party day.

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:58 am
crmos8 well done
well done

This household practically lives on chuck roasts. They're very inexpensive around here and have great flavor. I usually sear them quickly over high heat, them lower the heat to around 250 or so till the desired degree of doneness is reached. I usually use some sort of basic dry rub, and will sometimes sauce them towards the end of the cooking time. I'll do them inside in the oven sometimes when the snow is covering the grill and they still turn out great.
If you're not the lead dog, the view's always the same.

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:48 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

jaybo we did have a member (last year I believe) when we first started discussing the amazing Jaccard tool that Jaccarded half of a piece of meat as an experiment. There is an old post around here with pictures that covers it. And the conclusion was that the Jaccard made a big difference (in a good way), the meat was more tender and accepted more flavor from marinades and rubs.

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:16 pm
jaybo medium-well
medium-well

thanks, Bob. It seems logical that it would work. That may be my next toy.

Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:41 pm
mah712rn rare
rare

what does jaccard mean.
Michael
Wickliffe, Ohio
Low & slow, the only way to go...

Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:43 pm
Susan Z well done
well done

It's a neat gadget named after this fellow Jaccard (and thus, like Martini or Minion method, should be capitalized) that you use to tenderize meat. Nifty little handheld thing (for home use---there are big machines for butchers and restaurants to use) with 32 surgical steel needles that pummel the meat for you. I love it on tough cuts like flank steak, or anything that's going to be marinated.

http://www.jaccard.com/

Return to General Discussion