Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion How to prepare my apple wood logs

How to prepare my apple wood logs

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:29 pm
Master Brewer medium
medium

Hey everyone.

I have a pickup truck full of dried apple wood. The logs are quite big. I have never split wood before for burning or for smoking.

What is the best way to reduce these huge logs into some sweet smoking wood?

thanks in advance.

Post Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:09 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Cut them down short enough (8-12") and you can use wedges with a maul or sledge to split them. If the wood's not dry it'll still split fairly easily if it's below freezing, and once it's split it'll dry that much faster. What's the diameter of the average log?

Brad

Post Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:11 pm

Brad_Olson wrote:
Cut them down short enough (8-12") and you can use wedges with a maul or sledge to split them. If the wood's not dry it'll still split fairly easily if it's below freezing, and once it's split it'll dry that much faster. What's the diameter of the average log?

Brad

The wood is from a big ole apple tree. Probably eight inches in diameter.

Post Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:18 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Wedges (my preference) or a splitting maul will do the job.

Brad

Post Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:25 pm
Delaware Smoker well done
well done

I have not cut or split logs to use in my smoker.But back in my younger days,I did cut my share of wood and sold it.So I guess there is no way of reducing your logs to the size that you want ,without cutting smaller..If you don't have a chain saw,you can either rent one or buy a cheap one for this job.Even an electric one will do.Another way is to take one end of the log and put it in your smoker/grill.Fire up your smoker,and let the log burn down.Of course you will lose a good amount of heat and smoke this way,but you won't have to do all of that hard work. :lol: Be sure to tie a red rag around the piece that's sticking out,you wouldn't want anyone to walk into it. :lol:
Bill
Delaware Smoker
CG w/sfb
Royal Oak Grill

Post Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:47 pm
Master Brewer medium
medium

medium rare wrote:
I have not cut or split logs to use in my smoker.But back in my younger days,I did cut my share of wood and sold it.So I guess there is no way of reducing your logs to the size that you want ,without cutting smaller..If you don't have a chain saw,you can either rent one or buy a cheap one for this job.Even an electric one will do.Another way is to take one end of the log and put it in your smoker/grill.Fire up your smoker,and let the log burn down.Of course you will lose a good amount of heat and smoke this way,but you won't have to do all of that hard work. :lol: Be sure to tie a red rag around the piece that's sticking out,you wouldn't want anyone to walk into it. :lol:
Bill

I dont mind chopping the wood, as a matter of fact, I look forward to it.

Return to General Discussion