Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Murman's First 3-2-1 Pork Spare Rib cook, with PICS

Murman's First 3-2-1 Pork Spare Rib cook, with PICS

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Murman well done
well done

Murman

Post Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:37 am
BBadMonkey medium
medium

Nicely done. I've got a rack thawed in the fridge and a batch of Steven's 'Lemon Brown Sugar' sauce on the stove right now. I hope mine look that good.
CG Super Pro with SFB & Side Burner
'48 Willys pick-up

Post Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:57 am
csbrass medium
medium

Beautiful job on the prep work. I'm sure the finished product tasted as good as it looked. Thanks for sharing.

Post Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:05 am
BBQ Bob well done
well done

Nice job on them there ribs, Murman! Thanks for sharin.

BBadMonkey wrote:
I've got a rack thawed in the fridge and a batch of Steven's 'Lemon Brown Sugar' sauce on the stove right now.

That is my new flavorite sauce! Try simmerin it for more then 8 minutes. I forgot about it on the stove and it simmered for 20 minutes and it was the best batch I have made yet.
FURN. Short for furniture that I should have instead of this thing - wifie

Post Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:08 pm
BBadMonkey medium
medium

BBQ Bob wrote:
That is my new flavorite sauce! Try simmerin it for more then 8 minutes. I forgot about it on the stove and it simmered for 20 minutes and it was the best batch I have made yet.
I let it go for about 30 minutes to thicken it up some. I also added a tablespoon of honey and two teaspoons of Frank's Red Hot to this batch.
'48 Willys pick-up

Post Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:13 pm
Old Smoker well done
well done

Some fine looking ribs Murman ..I'd have no problem eating those..
22.5 WSM - Chargriller - Traeger Texas
I cook to eat not to compete

Post Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:24 pm
DropaStone medium-well
medium-well

After seeing those pics I'm ready to fire up the smoker. Outstanding pics awesome looking grub great job.
Smokem if you got'em
CG PRO W/SFB
MasterBuilt Gas Smoker

Post Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:01 pm
BBQ Bob well done
well done

BBadMonkey wrote:
BBQ Bob wrote:
I let it go for about 30 minutes to thicken it up some. I also added a tablespoon of honey and two teaspoons of Frank's Red Hot to this batch.

Franks Red Hot....thanks for the tip BBadMonkey! I just finished makin a batch. I will have to try that for next weeks smoke.
FURN. Short for furniture that I should have instead of this thing - wifie

Post Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:21 pm
jazzspot well done
well done

Nice prep to those slabs.... and the completed slabs look very good indeed!!! Thanks for the great pics!!
Did you marinate the slabs that are in this photo?

ImageImage

Post Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:25 pm
Murman well done
well done

Thanks to all for the kind words.

Yes, the ribs were marinated in apple cider and lemon juice.

Post Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:34 pm
jazzspot well done
well done

Murman wrote:

Murman, how long were they marinated? A few hours or over night? What does this marinating process do for the ribs? I may have to try your marinate process to see what the difference is between the marinated and non-marinated slabs. I've never marinated ribs. I just prep (remove membrane) and trim spares to St Louis style, apply rub, and put them in the smoker.
ImageImage

Post Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:50 pm
Murman well done
well done

jazzspot wrote:
Murman wrote:

Murman, how long were they marinated? A few hours or over night? What does this marinating process do for the ribs? I may have to try your marinate process to see what the difference is between the marinated and non-marinated slabs. I've never marinated ribs. I just prep (remove membrane) and trim spares to St Louis style, apply rub, and put them in the smoker.

The ribs and marinade were put in a two gallon food storage bag, then refrigerated for two hours. There are two reasons for the marinade. One is to add flavor, and the other is to tenderize. A win-win! Many of the fruit juices used in marinades, such as lemon and pineapple, contain enzymes that break down proteins, making the meat tender.

Post Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:37 pm
BBadMonkey medium
medium

BBQ Bob wrote:
[Franks Red Hot....thanks for the tip BBadMonkey! I just finished makin a batch. I will have to try that for next weeks smoke.
You are welcome. I hope it turns out good.
Man those pics are making me hungry! I just sampled a little bit of the flap that was trimmed off the slab and man was it goooood! I can't wait for dinner time.
I just foiled mine. I did it a little early because the CG is running a little hot today.

So Murman, are they as good as they look? :D
'48 Willys pick-up

Post Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:53 pm
jazzspot well done
well done

Murman wrote:
[The ribs and marinade were put in a two gallon food storage bag, then refrigerated for two hours. There are two reasons for the marinade. One is to add flavor, and the other is to tenderize. A win-win! Many of the fruit juices used in marinades, such as lemon and pineapple, contain enzymes that break down proteins, making the meat tender.

Thanks much for the info!! Been smoking ribs for quite a few years and I've never looked into the benefits of marinating them. Mostly because I didn't find a need to do it. :wink: But I'll give it a try. About how much lemon juice do you use? Is the juice from fresh lemons or bottled lemon juice?
ImageImage

Post Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:12 pm
Murman well done
well done

BBadMonkey wrote:
So Murman, are they as good as they look? :D

Damn skippy they were!

Next

Return to General Discussion