Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Smoked Zucchini Stew

Smoked Zucchini Stew

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:24 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Last night was like any other night....my wife is facebookin' and I yell from the kitchen, "Hey, what do you want for dinner tomorrow night? We have blah blah blah blah blah in the freezer. What do you want me to pull out?" Last night she yelled back, "Let's do something with hamburger meat." :lol: So I took the hamburger meat out and had no idea what to do with it once I got home tonight. I googled "ground beef recipes" and this recipe was one of the ones that caught my interest, simply because we had everything for it (except for the zucchini, which my wife picked up after she left the gym), plus the fact that I hadn't used my Dutch Oven on the BGE for awhile now.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/zucchini-s ... etail.aspx

We didn't have any Anaheim Chiles and my wife also couldn't find them at Food Lion, so I improvised and used a little Rotel Tomatos w/ Green Chiles and some Diced Jalapenos...

Everything else was pretty much just like the recipe called for, except I did add some Salt Lick Dry Rub towards the end in lieu of the additional salt and pepper.

The Apple Smoke really shined nicely, but in my humble opinion it needed something a little extra....kinda bland for my taste. I wish I could have found the Anaheim Peppers that the recipe called for....maybe that would have made the difference? My wife said she thought it was delicious and perfect as it was, but I like a little extra kick. So I added some Pickled Okra and Louisiana One Drop to my stew.

Stews, Soups and Chilis on the smoker are a real nice treat, as they pick up a lot of good flavor from wood smoke. I have a bunch of leftover Brisket in the freezer...I can't wait to make some Texas-style chili with it... I may do that this weekend if time allows.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:07 am
Griffin well done
well done

Interesting cook. Not sure if I would be into that.

I thought anaheims were pretty mellow, am I wrong. I read that and thought the Ro-Tell would have been hotter. I could be wrong....it happens maybe once a year. :lol:

Post Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:18 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'm generally not a fan of squashes but that looks like a good way to get rid of some zucchini. I'll bet some loose spicy sausage would've bumped it up a bit.

Post Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:48 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Spontaneous meals are some times better than planned ones :)
Looking and sounding delicious!!

Post Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:46 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Griffin wrote:
Interesting cook. Not sure if I would be into that.

I thought anaheims were pretty mellow, am I wrong. I read that and thought the Ro-Tell would have been hotter. I could be wrong....it happens maybe once a year. :lol:

...then NO soup for you! :) I don't know about the anaheims...I'm not a huge pepper conneiseur, so I can never remember which ones are which. I didn't add too much rotel or jalapenos...I didn't want to overwhelm Mrs. Dyal. It needed something else...I'm thinking Brad may have a point with the spicy sausage. Some Chorizo would probably do well too.

Brad, you couldn't really taste the zucchini...the potatoes and the other flavors masked it well. Zucchini is a great veggie to sneak into different foods, especially when you're trying to get your kids to eat more veggies. They blend in other foods well, especially if you shred them up.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:12 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Yeah an Anaheim is milder then a jalapeno. Anaheims are around the same as poblanos :)

Return to General Discussion