Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Where do you Q? And may go BGE!

Where do you Q? And may go BGE!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon May 14, 2012 4:22 pm
PTL4BBQ medium
medium

I'm building a house and wanted to see what type of 'shelter', outdoor kitchen or 'shack' anyone has constructed for BBQing/Grilling, and/or how you've got your BGE integrated (table, etc)?

Pics please! Looking for ideas!!!
I only use gas to start my charcoal chimney...

Post Mon May 14, 2012 9:57 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

I found this grill gazebo on mega clearance on Amazon.

Can't remember the exact price, but it was somewhere around $400 including shipping. The original price was around $1300-$1400. It only took a few hours to put together...

Comes in VERY handy in the rain...

Side tables double as an outdoor bar area...

Rechargeable lights are mounted on both sides...

Love my gazebo.... I grill about 6 times per week on average, so this allows me to feed my habit rain or shine.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue May 15, 2012 8:50 am
PTL4BBQ medium
medium

Nice! Keep 'em coming!

Post Tue May 15, 2012 8:59 am
QJuju well done
well done

We added this last summer. I really like not having to be in the rain to cook. I used to do that a lot. Plus I have all my tools in the closet, a place to sit, and have a cold beverage. I still have plans to change the table, but that is an evolutionary project at the moment.

I hope that helps in some way.

Post Tue May 15, 2012 9:00 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I do all my grilling and smoking in a detached garage that's become a big storage shed. If I was building from scratch I'd do something similar with plenty of roof vents, openable windows on all 4 sides, and a restaurant-style exhaust fan.

Post Tue May 15, 2012 10:03 am
Griffin well done
well done

I'm just in a rent house, so I can't make an outdoor kitchen, but I do have a covered patio.

And when it rains, we go under the cover

Where I store my BBQ stuff

Post Tue May 15, 2012 2:27 pm
Don Marco well done
well done

Dyal_SC wrote:
I found this grill gazebo on mega clearance on Amazon.

I bought one of those at a trade show for a friend two years ago and he´s very happy with it. I highly recommend those especially when you cant built anything cause youre in a rental home.

DM

Post Tue May 15, 2012 2:30 pm
Don Marco well done
well done

Here´s my Egg Center. Just had it finished last friday, all thats missing now is the damn sink.

It was a lot of work but all done by myself and some friends.

This is how the place looked a while ago :

and today :

DM

Post Tue May 15, 2012 3:26 pm
tex_toby well done
well done

VERY Nice, DM! You always know how to go all out!

tex :texas:
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Post Tue May 15, 2012 5:01 pm
PTL4BBQ medium
medium

That is just obscene... ...ly AWESOME!

Thanks for establishing the touchstone for us...

Post Tue May 15, 2012 5:28 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

I'm almost embarrassed to post this after seeing some of the beautiful solutions posted here. Let's just say this is the low budget solution. This is a 10'x10' EZ-Up shelter. I liked Dyal's Grill Gazebo very much but it won't handle my 6 burner gas grill and the CG. My first EZ-Up lasted 6 years and after looking around at commercial products and pricing some home made solutions, I bought another EZ-Up

The Good:
Relatively Low Price: $170 with free shipping
Portable: Takes less than 5 minutes to put up or take down with a helper. So if you were taking a grill on the road and expected bad weather, you could bring this with you.
Footprint: 10'x10' Size covers both my gas grill & CG with 3' wide aisle in the middle. It will also accomodate the CG Kamado I expect to add to the family in September.
Unexpected Bonus:White roof color acts as giant flash umbrella for using bounce flash on my grill photos in both day and night time.
Durability:Although not intended to remain up, kept mine up 7-8 months straight for 6 years in a row.

The Bad:
Not Year Round Solution-Pt. 1: Here in New England where we get snow I put the EZ-UP up in April and take it down before Thanksgiving. It wouldn't hold up to a snow load. But I don't mind cooking in the snow, it is the rain I hate and this has me covered most of the year.
Not Year Round Solution-Pt. 2: Not as wind resistant as some of the other solutions here. It has survived 40MPH winds with no problem, but I have taken it down for two hurricanes.
Looks:Certainly not as pretty as some of the other solutions here. My wife was tough sell, but then she saw the benefits of my being able to cook whenever I wanted to.
Not 100% Waterproof:The EZ-Up folks are quick to point out that this is not intended to replace a tent and is not 100 percent waterproof. During extremely heavy rainstorms my first EZ-Up might have 5 or 6 spots where the roof was dripping. Over a 10'x10 area this is insignificant.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Tue May 15, 2012 5:39 pm
jayeffel well done
well done

I saw at Wal*Mart a grill cover- has metal frame and a cloth/plastic type cover that resembles a paraglider. It has holders for tools. Designed to place over a grill.

Not sure if a CG Trio would fit or not. Looked but didn't look too hard. Less than $100.00, at least at present.
Chargriller King Griller (Kamado)
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Post Tue May 15, 2012 8:37 pm
PTL4BBQ medium
medium

All great ideas so far. Keep 'me coming!

Post Fri May 18, 2012 6:55 pm
Beer B Q medium-rare
medium-rare

I built an aluminum patio cover just outside the back slider from the kitchen. Now I can que and brew in sny weather.

Post Fri May 18, 2012 8:01 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

That looks nice, Beer B Q... I wonder if my HOA would object to something like that? Hmm... If you don't mind me asking, are those aluminum patio covers sold in a kit form, or did you build this from scratch?
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Next

Return to General Discussion