Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Fatty just doesn't seem to do it...

Fatty just doesn't seem to do it...

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun May 06, 2012 11:12 am
QJuju well done
well done

I believe we have all seen the Bacon Explosion and many have made it or a variation. I kept asking... Is it too much bacon and no one answered. Maybe the answer was obvious... one can never have too much bacon! :) So, for derby I decided to make my variation. I used 2# of Purnell's SMedium hot sausage and 2 # of Hormel pepper bacon. Then I added Cajun rub and a spicy Texas style BBQ sauce inside and out. It turned out quite tasty and I think many were surprised at how good it was.

Oh... and I made pork butt... y'all have seen that before! I think I have made so much pork butt that even the neighbors dog wont eat it anymore! :twisted:

Post Sun May 06, 2012 11:55 am
d_holck well done
well done

Awesome.
"... mmmmmmm 'bacon'."

CG Outlaw w/SFB
UDS
Old classic Weber Kettle

Post Sun May 06, 2012 12:11 pm
timbarber84 medium-well
medium-well

that looks great im going to have to try one oneday soon. good job
TIMS BBQ

Post Sun May 06, 2012 4:53 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

How many people were you feeding? Was it the entree or more of an appetizer? That's a lot of pork product right there... :wink:

Post Sun May 06, 2012 5:45 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

:shock: Holy Shnikeys!!! That looks awesome! Great job...you're always so creative!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sun May 06, 2012 7:05 pm
2beast medium-well
medium-well

Hog heaven 8)

Greg

Post Sun May 06, 2012 10:55 pm
jstewart well done
well done

Yikes !!!!! My arteries hardened looking at that :shock: :shock: I have to admit that it sure looks good.......but WOW
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

!

Post Mon May 07, 2012 2:35 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

Yep - That is one good looking fattie! I can almost taste it! I don't have the patience to do the bacon weave. Step-son and one of his buddy's make them from time to time. Time to time is just about all yo can eat a slice or two - arteries start to harden just thinking about one.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Mon May 07, 2012 8:39 am
Griffin well done
well done

Love a good fattie and yours looks excellent. Just wish i could make and enjoy them more, so not healthy.

Post Mon May 07, 2012 10:10 am
QJuju well done
well done

Thanks for the kind words...

To answer a few questions...

That was an app for our Derby party... we had 8 folks there and I also did 2 pork butts. We had slaw, deviled eggs, green bean casserole, baked beans, and cheese grits. The apps were the fatty, blue cheese dip, spinach dip, and ABT's. We obviously had leftovers which I had for lunch yesterday and dinner. :)

For me... thats diet food! :shock: The bad things on the table were the green bean casserole, baked beans, cheese grits, crackers, and Hawaiian bread all of which I avoided. Based on my blood work after 3 months of that diet the doctor is very pleased. All the good things went up and the bad things went down. I am off blood pressure and cholesterol medication and my blood sugar is normal.

I know... it isn't conventional wisdom and that wasn't a conventional dinner at my house either. :lol: I think I am still stuffed from Saturday! Tonight will be grilled chicken and a salad.

Post Mon May 07, 2012 11:46 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Excellent, QJuju! In fact,it's got me thinking a slice of that fatty would be great on one of Grand Scale's Homer Simpson 2.0s instead of the sausage. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon May 07, 2012 11:51 am
toyman medium
medium

That fattie looks awesome. I enjoy making and eating them, but only make them for special occasions (holidays/picnics) or I'd eat them all the time.
Large Big Green Egg
JennAir NG 3 burner
Wood Fired Oven
Ultra Sear Grill
Weber Silver B

Return to General Discussion