Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Free ham, now what to do

Free ham, now what to do

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu May 03, 2012 7:58 am
Michigander medium-rare
medium-rare

I was given a ham by a coworker and told to smoke it and bring it in to work. I said no problem, I have done plenty of hams. So he brings it to work and here is what I was given

So it's a 16lb boneless, skinless ham. This is made for slicing and buying at the deli counter not what I would usually buy to smoke :lol:

So what to do now? Inject,smoke and glaze as usual? We have this ham a lot at work and it is very juicy as is.

With no skin the injecting might be interesting and will the glaze stick?

One of you guys/gals must have experience with this style of ham for the smoker.
What would you do?
Smoke it like you stole it

Post Thu May 03, 2012 10:24 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Can't help with the glaze but if it's already fully cooked you don't need to take it past 120 degrees internal temperature and I personally wouldn't inject it with anything.

Post Thu May 03, 2012 11:42 am
rogerja well done
well done

Smoke it at 140 degrees with hickory until it hits 120. all you're doing is adding smoke flavor. You can't do much else.

Post Thu May 03, 2012 1:21 pm
timbarber84 medium-well
medium-well

all i can say i wish i had a coworker like that bores head is a good one i would just add some smoke to it
TIMS BBQ

Post Mon May 07, 2012 11:39 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

A glaze would still work if you are so inclined. I've glazed a few of these for Easter and Christmas cooks and they come out just fine. Think of it this way: it's just like saucing a rib or a pork chop, and they don't have any skin.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion