Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Keeping burgers warm

Keeping burgers warm

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:39 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

My boss is hosting a dinner party for 50 people. He wants to grill the hamburgers ahead of time and keep them warm, but obviously he doesn't want them to overcook or dry out.

I'm thinking that if he can keep them at 140 he should be fine, but should he add a little moisture? Maybe some diluted beef broth? Is there a "hot tub" method for burgers?

Edit: Johnsonville says there is.
http://www.johnsonville.com/burgers/rec ... t-Tub.html

Thanks! And if any of you give me advice that gets me in trouble I will hunt you down... :wink:

Brad

Post Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:33 pm

Brad,
We have cooked 150 burgers for the concession stand to sell at the football games several times. They keep them in a roaster with beef broth and they always seem to be pretty good.
CG DUO

Post Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:50 pm
rogerja well done
well done

You'll want to cook/hold them to/at 160 or risk giving people food poisoning.

Post Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:03 pm
BBQ Deputy

If they're cooked to 160 and held at 145 I'm thinking they would be safe, because the initial 160 degrees would kill off anything inside and the 145 holding temp would prevent anything new. Sound about right?

Post Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:18 pm
rogerja well done
well done

"Hot holding" temp in the universal food code is above 140, so you could do 145. If the burgers need reheated, they need to be reheated to 165 prior to holding.

Post Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:26 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Brad,
I grill around 200 burgers every year for work. I usually cook them the night before and keep them in a mixture of beef broth/Worcestershire sauce/Beefy onion soup and a dash whatever rub I used on them. I use a Nesco roaster to reheat them and keep them warm. I start at 250 degrees for reheating, and then go down to 150. They stay warm and juicy until the last patty :D
Always a big hit :wink:

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:17 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Keeping the burgers above 145°F is fine. I've cooked for an annual company picnic for at least 750 people for several years now - that works out to about 1800 burgers and about 500 hot dogs for my crew (all 6 of us). All we've ever needed were a few warming trays (supplied by the event rentals company) and a bit of beef broth.

One of the things I do differently, though, is I place a small rack in the warming pan to keep the burgers from coming into direct contact with the broth. This keeps the burgers from becoming "stewed" and it keeps the nice crust on the burger too.

Sure, you can put your brats in a hot tub, but people like burgers because of the crust. Who wants to wash it off by drowning them? :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:58 am
BBQ Deputy

The cookout was last Wednesday and it sounds like everything went off without a hitch. Thanks for the help!

Return to General Discussion