Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Jamaican Jerk Flat Iron Steak (pix)

Jamaican Jerk Flat Iron Steak (pix)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:00 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

A few years ago, I saw a Bobby Flay Throw Down where he challenged someone to a bout with Jerk Ribeyes... We used to make this marinade a LOT, but for some reason we sort of forgot about it over the years. My wife reminded me of it a few weeks back, saying that we should make it sometime again. Decided it would be a great candidate for a Flat Iron Steak.

Here is the recipe...only thing I do different is I don't do the relish, and I also add some Avocado to the mix....If I remember accurately, the dude Bobby Flay was challenging used Avocado.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobb ... index.html

This looks really strange, but trust me...it's good! I'm kind to the wife with this marinade, and I make sure to seed and cut the membrane out of the habanero... :wink:

Looks a little more normal at this point....;):

Served up with some Rice and Beans along with some Corn. For the rice, and to make it more "Jamaicany", my wife used some Coconut Juice in replace of some of the water. She also put some Onions, Garlic and EVOO in the mix. Finished the rice with some fresh lime juice. Great stuff....

Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:20 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

I would love that! When you flipped the first time did you reapply the paste? That looks so darn good!

Post Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:39 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Thanks, dude! Nope, I didn't reapply any of the mixture. It holds up pretty well, as long as you don't slide it around too much. I grilled this at around 450 deg f, and nothing had a "burnt" taste, so it holds up well to fairly high heat too.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:28 am
smokin'gal well done
well done

Everything looks wonderful and the grill marks are beautiful.

Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:29 am
phillyjazz well done
well done

I've never done jerk beef. I guess that's because I've seen Jamaican cows. I'll have to give that a shot though. Just because it's non-traditional doesn't mean it's not good. Those look mighty tasty.
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:45 am
Griffin well done
well done

Looks good. You should have left the seeds in. :twisted:

Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:31 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Gotta agree about the grill marks!

How much avocado do you add? I see that the recipe doesn't really call for any significant marinating time, so do you think a few hours would do much in the way of tenderizing? I have some round steaks in the freezer and am thinking that they're likely candidates for some marinades and wet rubs.

Brad

Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:39 am
p-nut well done
well done

Thanks for the recipe. Gonna try it on some ribeyes.

Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:59 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Thanks, guys and gal!

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Gotta agree about the grill marks!

How much avocado do you add? I see that the recipe doesn't really call for any significant marinating time, so do you think a few hours would do much in the way of tenderizing? I have some round steaks in the freezer and am thinking that they're likely candidates for some marinades and wet rubs.

Brad

Since I only grilled one steak, I cut all the ingredients in Bobby Flays recipe in half (kinda eyeballed it). Except I did use a whole habanero...but I seeded it. It still had some heat, but it was fairly mild for the most part. If I was cooking for just me, I would have left the seeds in. :) Then I used 1 small avacado. I don't know if marinading it for longer would have made that big of a difference with tenderizing it. Flat Irons are tender on their own though, especially when you slice it thin across the grain.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Return to General Discussion