Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Another Saturday Morning Breakfast

Another Saturday Morning Breakfast

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:31 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Been looking forward to this day all week. We woke up early this morning, in order to enjoy it to it's fullest. It was such a beautiful day out, that it would have been blasphemous to cook inside. :)

I found a few homemade Spicy Chorizos in the freezer and started with those. This is one of my favorite Steven Raichlen recipes. You can find the recipe in the Barbecue Bible, page 231. Here is the post when I originally whipped those up:

http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/view ... ht=chorizo

I didn't plan ahead, so I had to use the Auto Defrost option in the microwave. :? It kind of cooked the inside a bit when I did this, so the sausages were a little overdone after I grilled them up. They were still good, but a little dry.

After I took the Chorizos off the BGE, I threw the spider and wok on there for some fried potatoes. Started with a little bit of chopped onion:

Then threw on the diced up potatoes that I had nuked in the microwave for a few minutes (along with some butter) to soften up:

My wife made the Bacon, Eggs and Grits inside. The Chorizos were a little dry from having to defrost them in the micrrowave, but that wasn't anything that dunking them in Grits and Hot Sauce couldn't take care of. :)

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:41 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Hmm...I just noticed in the first post where I mentioned that the Chorizos were dry. I did overshoot the temperature this time around, to about 185 deg. But now I think the main problem was the lack of fat. I'm going to have to whip up another batch of these, and make sure there is enough fat in them. The flavor is amazing.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:01 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Great breakfast Dyal!!
It reminds me of camping :) I love cooking all three meals outside :D

Post Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:36 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Looks good Dyal! Being from the North I don't have grits often although when I do they are at Cracker Barrel...Haha!

Post Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:51 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

I know what you mean, BBcueZ...I love cooking all 3 meals outside too. Been way too long since I've camped.

Eddie, I love me some grits and G.R.I.T.S. (girls raised in the south)... :wink:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:32 pm
jsperk well done
well done

Killer breakfast. I love chorizo.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Post Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:39 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Awesome breakfast. What a great way to start the day. :D

Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:27 am
Griffin well done
well done

Nicely done. Why didn't you do the eggs outside? When you say chorizo...do you mean Spanish or Mexican chorizo?

Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:08 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Great use of the wok! I really need to get one but after upgrading the kids' phones over the weekend I'm lucky I can afford to eat. :wink:

When I have to give frozen meat a quick thaw I put it in a plastic bag and submerge it in hot water. Did it with some brats on Saturday.

Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:26 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Thanks, y'all. Brad, yeah, I don't know why I didn't use hot water...didn't don on me for some reason. Too early in the morning for my brain to function I guess. :?

Griffin wrote:
Nicely done. Why didn't you do the eggs outside? When you say chorizo...do you mean Spanish or Mexican chorizo?

This was Steven Raichlen's recipe from the Barbecue Bible. It's his Spanish recipe for Spicy Chorizo. I highly recommend it...especially now that you're into sausage stuffing.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Return to General Discussion