Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Ides of March

Ides of March

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:40 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

Do you know what the Ides of March is? In the Roman calendar it stands for the 15th day of March. The only other months to have an Ides are May & July, of course, all months have a 15th. The Ides were days set aside to honor the Roman god of war - Mars.
On this day, in 44 B.C., Julius Ceasar was asassinated on the steps of the Roman Senate. Some guy named Shakespeare wrote all about it. "Beware the Ides of March". Think Shakespeare, in Hamlet, said something about killing all the lawyers. Don't know about all of them, but think old Bill had a good idea about quite a few of them.
Do not confuse this with the late '60's - early '70's rock band Ides of March. As Ides of March they were pretty much a "one hit wonder" - Vehicle reached Billboard # 1 in 1970. Core of Ides of March evolved into Survivor - Eye of The Tiger - for Rocky III. Survivor was a little more successful having 6 or 8 top 10 songs from 1973 to 1978. Founding member, lead singer, and writer for Ides of March and Survivor is Jim Peterik.
Jim has written many songs for many people - "Hold on Loosely" was a # 1 hit for .38 Special, a couple for Sammy Hagar, and forget who else. Jim is "kind of" a neighbor. Don't know exactly where but he lives in Burr Ridge the suburb immediately west / southwest of us. Burr Ridge is very affluent - many professional athletes live or lived there. Bo Jackson and frank Thomas still live there. I run into Jim Peterik from time to time. He is a really nice guy. First time I ever met him was at Walgreens around the corner and up the street. Knew he was in there when I pulled into the parking lot - Lamborghini Diablo with "Eye Tiger" license plate gave it away. Had no intention of invading his privacy but ran into him in one of the aisles and said "Hi". We must have talked for 5 minutes or so. I made a comment about his nice car. He looked at me and said "Yes, It's a Lamborghini, you know!" He still performs locally from time to time. Have not been able to work out when we can go.
By the way ... Looking at the current blog topic. Remember when I was a kid going to "Ox Roasts". Various civic organizations would roast whole sides of beef, on a hand turned spit, over an open fire. Anticipation was great as the beef neared being ready - sandwiches were even better.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:16 pm
Andy medium
medium

Cactus,
Thanks for this very interesting story! I had always wondered about the origins of "Ides of March", and I also liked the band of the same name.
Very cool, and thanks again!
Andy

Weber Genesis 1000
Weber 22.5" One-Touch Silver
Weber 18.5" One-Touch Silver
Weber 14.5" Smoky Joe

Return to General Discussion