Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Weber Grill class action, file by 4/30/2012

Weber Grill class action, file by 4/30/2012

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
smokeybeaver well done
well done

I know Weber's are popular on here, but you may have not read about this elsewhere:

https://eclaim.kccllc.net/caclaimforms/WSC/WSCLanding.aspx

I don't necessarily agree with the lawsuit, or the fact that the lawyers are the ones that really benefit in these cases, but I am putting this out there FYI.

Post Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:45 am
scotts1919 medium
medium

This is absolutely ridiculous. 5000 to go to the plaintiff, and 995,000 to go to lawyers for their fees and services!
18.5 WSM
22.5 Weber Silver
22.5 Weber Performer
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

Post Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:22 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I don't own any Webers new enough to qualify! :lol:

It'd be interesting to know the details and why this is such a big deal to this Doug Chambers person.

Figures that it's coming out of California. :wink:

Brad

Post Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:36 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

http://www.bomble.com/jimswift/tag/doug-chambers/

I absolutely DESPISE frivolous class action and mass torte cases!!

It does nothing but drive up the cost of everything and
force more companies to go offshore to improve their
margins in order to pay or defend themselves from these thing.

Like the woman that sued MickeyD's cause she spilled
her coffee!

-YB
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:31 pm
sixfofalcon medium-well
medium-well

I got my flyer a couple days ago and I'm opting out of the Class. I bought my Weber knowing full well that while it said, "Made in USA", that most-likely meant assembled in USA with USA-made and foreign-made parts.

I actually researched the "Made in USA" claim before I bought. At that time the main parts (the porcelain coated bowl & lid) were made in USA. I didn't find out about the grates, handles, and fasteners, but assumed they came from Asia since my grill was priced reasonably. The R&D, engineering, marketing, assembly, packaging, etc. were all domestic. So while it wasn't 100% USA-made, my purchase did support a number of American jobs.

While I do think Weber should be clearer about how much of the parts and pieces were made in USA, I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon and have them pay some law firm a million bucks just so I can get $2, $5, or $9 (I think that's what the flyer said the Class Members would get.)

I don't think Weber is doing anything more sinister than what has been generally accepted for decades. And I'd still choose their, let's say 80% USA-made products over a 100%-imported, inferior product.
Weber Performer
22.5" WSM
CG Smokin' Pro (lots o' mods, but basically "retired")

Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:29 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

I've got 1 OTG and 2 WSM's that qualify. I haven't been notified, heard about it at another site. Guess the lawyer saved another $.44 by not mailing me anything. That's OK - I wouldn't even waste my time opting out. Weber's been good to me and I'll probably never buy another grill or smoker again not made by them.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:19 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That brings up a thought...I wonder how many Weber owners are actually going to take the final settlement?

I also wonder if Doug Chambers is getting far more negative publicity than he bargained for... :wink:

Brad

Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:17 pm
lostarrow well done
well done

I have WSM & a Q220 ( bought for son) that qualify, it's not worth the effort or guilty conscience for $5-6 ,
It's only done to make $$$ for the law firm !
New Braunfels
vermont castings gas grill
WSM
Char-Griller Kamodo

Return to General Discussion