Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Sausage Bake

Sausage Bake

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:16 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

The dish was inspired by chef Jamie Oliver from the cooking channel I just added few more veggies: zucchini, yellow squash, potatoes, eggplants, mixed peppers, onions and of course the tomatoes.
He cooked his in a wood fired brick oven, but since I didn’t have one of those, I did mine in the smoker using mesquite wood :)
It took about 2 hours at 350 degrees
I then grated some Parmesan cheese on top afterwards
This is a great one-dish meal. You get all your food group in it, and it takes minutes to prepare and practically cooks itself in the smoker. It can be served with pasta, polenta, or just nice Italian crusty bread.

Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:50 pm
jsperk well done
well done

Wow I have to try this. Looks great. I'm not much of veggie eater but the wife can eat all the veggies. I have to make this one.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:21 pm
lostarrow well done
well done

I'd like to cook that please post ( as best you can )what you did.
New Braunfels
vermont castings gas grill
WSM
Char-Griller Kamodo

Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:48 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

lostarrow wrote:
I'd like to cook that please post ( as best you can )what you did.

I started with marinara sauce and EVOO in the bottom of the pan, added slices of zucchini, yellow squash, potatoes, eggplants, mixed peppers, onions, and whole Roma tomatoes. You can add or take out any of the veggies. I would’ve added mushroom if I had some. Alternate the sliced veggies for a nicer look. I also put few slices of potatoes flat in the bottom of the pan below the sausages to protect them.
I brushed the veggies with a mixture of EVOO, crushed garlic and oregano. Sprinkled salt and pepper and seasoning salt over the whole thing, I then added the Italian sausages (any variety would work). Topped with few sprigs of fresh Rosemary and Thyme, whole garlic cloves, scallions and drizzled the whole thing with generous amount of EVOO.
Add few dots of the marinara sauce on top for garnish.
Placed in 350-degree smoker with mesquite wood, and cooked for 2 hours until the sausages were done and the potatoes were soft. Grated some Parmesan cheese on top if while it was hot. Served it with extra marinara sauce on the side.
No measuring is necessary, all amounts and ingredients to taste. It’s a rustic dish any thing would work. Jamie used only heirloom tomatoes and sausage.

Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:27 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

That looks like a wonderful dish, BBCue-Z. Thanks for sharing. What model of smoker is that in the 2nd pic?

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:06 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Thanks Smokin’gal,
That’s a Char-Broil Double Chef smoker and Grill I picked up from Craig’s list a while back. Unfortunately, the company stopped making these units. I like it a lot, it’s has plenty of room.

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:27 am
Griffin well done
well done

Looks really, really good. So how well did the veggies hold up to that heat for that long? I'd like to make that, but it seems like the veggies would turn to mush...am I wrong here?

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:40 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Outstanding Z!!!!!!! I'm gonna have to give something like that a try.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:02 pm

BBcue-Z wrote:
It can be served with pasta, polenta, or just nice Italian crusty bread.

Or, you could just eat more of the sausage. You know, meat with a side of meat. :D
A bbq is only PARTLY about the food. It's MOSTLY about getting together and hanging out in the backyard with friends.

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:21 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

That does look really good. I remember another post of yours in the past where you made something similar. I forgot about it until now. Gonna have to try this out as well....looks like a great recipe for a low carb diet.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:24 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Thank you all for the kind comments
Griffin,
The veggies held out pretty good. You want the tomatoes to melt once you cut into them so they can create a sauce, that’s the object of this method. The potatoes were perfectly cooked, the peppers held their shape pretty good as well. The squash and zucchini were a little soft, but not mush. Arranging them in this fashion protect their consistency. I would say they held up much better than any boiled or stewed veggies and were much sweeter due to dry roasting. But if you like a little bite to them, you could always add them on top half way through the cooking.

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:16 am
Griffin well done
well done

What kind of pan did you use?

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:56 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Good to see you again, Z!

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:18 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Griffin wrote: