Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Brisket and Chickenses

Brisket and Chickenses

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:56 pm

The plan was to have BBC for lunch, and brisket for dinner. I got a relatively small brisket and started it around 9-10pm the night before. When I checked it in the morning, it was really close to ready so I changed the plan to brisket for lunch and chickens for dinner.

Actually, we were going to watch the Daytona500 (it was Sunday), so nothing really went according to plan.

The brisket was a salt, pepper, garlic powder and cayenne rub. I didn't mop it or open the lid a single time for the first 12-13 hours. When I did open the lid, I just cover the brisket and let it go for another 1-2 hours and then it rested for a little less than an hour.

The chickens were just rubbed with salt, pepper, paprika, and coriander. No mop.

I used most of the flat to make burnt ends, but I kind of which I'd have just eaten it. This may have been the best brisket I ever made and the key was simplicity.
A bbq is only PARTLY about the food. It's MOSTLY about getting together and hanging out in the backyard with friends.

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:18 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

That looks very good!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:43 pm
Delta rare
rare

I saw Mesquite in the background of one of those pics. Is that what you used for all of it? Just curious. I've been using pecan with my briskets lately and really like the flavor.

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:32 am

Delta wrote:
I saw Mesquite in the background of one of those pics. Is that what you used for all of it? Just curious. I've been using pecan with my briskets lately and really like the flavor.

Yup. Mesquite and oak. Another thing that I think made this work so well was the discretion I used with the mesquite. Just a few chunks right when I threw the brisket on, and a couple more about 3-4 hours in. Gotta be careful with mesquite.
A bbq is only PARTLY about the food. It's MOSTLY about getting together and hanging out in the backyard with friends.

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:10 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Great looking stuff!!
I also like to use mesquite with brisket.

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:33 am
Griffin well done
well done

I likes me some chickens and brisketses and those look great! I have no problem with mesquite. Love the stuff.

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:58 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Welcome, Delta!

Great job, CWF. And since Matt Kenseth won the 500 I'd say that everything went according to plan! :lol:

Brad

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:23 pm
jsperk well done
well done

That brisket and chicken looks great. great job.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:24 pm
2beast medium-well
medium-well

Darn that looks good!

Greg

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:01 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Everything looks wonderful. :D

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:14 pm