Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Smoked Loney

Smoked Loney

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:40 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Ahhhh......Christmas Vacation! The moment I've been waiting for all year long! I don't have to go to work again until January 4!!! :D What to do, what to do.... What's that? "Smoke something" you say? Well OK, if you insist! :wink:

I've been wanting to do this for a long time now... I was just about to buy some sandwich meat from the deli earlier today, when it donned on me to go look for some bulk bologna. Not only did I find two huge loney logs...but I found them on Clearance for $4.80 each, and they are 5 lbs a piece! Not too shabby!

I used Qjuju's idea for painting them down with mustard and worcestershire, before adding the rub:

http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/view ... ight=loney

I used some Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom for the rub.

Just tossed them on indirect with some Apple and Maple Woods for smoke, at around 250 deg f. Hope they turn out half as good as Qjuju's...

Stay tuned for the results--good or bad, I'll post pix anyways... :)
Last edited by Dyal_SC on Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:44 pm
SCmustardman well done
well done

Looks like Santa came early this year. That will make some awesome sandwiches. I might have to trade you some cold smoked cheese for some Bologna.
I've never had a bad day barbequeing or fishing. I've just had some that were better than others.

Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:58 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Looking good Dyal. Welcome to the vacation club. I've been here since last Wednesday. Be sure and post your results.

Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:11 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Thank you, SCmustardgal and smokin'gal! :) Here are the results. I've been missin' out! Turned out great!

I didn't initially score the sides of the bologna, but I was doing some searching, and "squashedpossum" mentioned that you have to score it or else it would inflate. So I scored it an hour or so into the smoke--3 scores lengthwise each, and also made some "X" scores at the ends. Worked well for me.

I couldn't wait... I was going to slice them, and them freeze them for later. But I had to give it a taste. I can't wait to grill the thick slices like burgers, like Qjuju recommends. But all I did with this sandwich was top it with mayo and cheese, and it still rocked!

The Swamp Venom is awesome on it...nice and spicy, like I like it! I didn't notice too much of a smoke ring, except inside the scored areas...I think I'll be able to better judge the smoke flavor another day, when I don't have so much smoke up my nostrils. BTW, SCmustardman, you gotta deal! I will save you a bag in the freezer. :wink:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:02 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

I gotta tell you I was never a big baloney fan. It wasn't that I disliked it, more like it just didn't excite me very much. Those pictures of yours (and QJuju's earlier ones) have me thinking I should revisit this meat and how I should prep it. Nicely done Dyal.

Jim

P.S. Let me just say I am jealous of your green grass and the temps that keep it that way.
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:00 am
sroach well done
well done

Dyal,

Nice looking baloney.... or is it a massive hot dog?

Would you do it again?

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:20 am
Griffin well done
well done

looks like you need to head over to greeneggers and submit that to the court of loney so you can get your pin and a title. Still have yet to do loney.

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:09 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

How much apiece did those bad boys weigh?? :shock:

That's no Oscar Mayer...

Brad

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:29 am
QJuju well done
well done

Perfect!! I cant wait for the first sammich either! I like swamp venom and I have used my butt rub in the past, but I may do the next with swamp venom-- i bet that was real tasty. I also do like to grill the slices like a burger and add a slice of onion, cheese, and spicy bbq sauce, but all you really need is 2 slices of puffy white bread. :lol:

Nice... I do wish I was there for one of those sammiches. I am off the next 11 days so that may hit my list. :)

edit... I also wrote better instructions since that last post.
http://www.quelfood.com/recipes/smokedloney

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:19 pm

I don't normally care for baloney but I think I would eat that!
CG Wrangler w/SFB

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:52 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Thanks for looking and thanks for the compliments!

Jim, I don't know how that rye grass got in my yard...seeds must have blown in some how... Most of my lawn is dead for the year, except for the few patches of rye here, there, and wherever. :lol:

sroach, I would definitely do it again. No time soon though, because my freezer is now crammed full of smoked bologna. It'll probably take me a long while to use all this up.

Grif, I will do that now...

Brad, they were 5 pounds each, for a combined total of 10 pounds... I sliced one into regular sized pieces (still thicker than normal though). The other one I sliced into thick patties, so I can grill them up like burgers as Qjuju recommends.

Qjuju, thanks for giving me the inspiration! I have a fridge and freezer full if you want a sandwich. :wink: I just ate a sandwich for lunch just then, and it has a wonderful smokiness! Couldn't taste it that well yesterday, due to all the smoke in my nostrils and on my clothes, but today it tastes even better!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:56 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Great job Dyal. I thought about doing this a while back, however, the only beef Bologna chubs that I've found are made by Boar's Head---at $10.99/lb. I just can't find the value in that, lol.

Return to General Discussion