Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion # ribs in Chargriller

# ribs in Chargriller

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:56 pm
AllUcan raw
raw

How many slabs of ribs will fit in a chargriller? I have to cook 10 slabs of pork spareribs this weekend & not sure if they will all fit. or will it be better to smoke half in the morning & the other half in afternoon. With this amount of meat will it also expand cooking time? Had this grill for about a month & love it.

Post Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:01 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

10 slabs...no worries.
Just stack them using the nnn method described here:
http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1129&highlight=
with some pictures here:
http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1221&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Never underestimate the capacity of your chargriller.

By the way welcome to the board! Stick around and enjoy the insanity.

Post Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:29 pm
sacmer well done
well done

We had this discussion early in the summer. You could do a search for the "nnn" method. Or maybe one of the moderaters can post a link.

Essentially you could do 12 racks stacking them 3 high with the curved side up. I did this in a Oaklahoma Joe which is similar in size to a chargriller. You will need to rotate the ribs to get even heat and probable rotate stacks away from the firebox if your zone there is hotter as mine was.

With all those ribs I found it convienient to finish the racks on a seperate grill to crisp up the glaze during the last 10 min.

Post Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:57 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the forum AllUcan! :D

This picture is still impressive! 8)

Post Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:57 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Also try these standard roasting V-Racks; they’re perfect for ribs (available at most kitchen supplies store for about $10). Flip them up side down and each will have enough room for seven slabs of ribs. You can fit two of these side by side on the Char-Griller.

Post Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:47 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

The "nnn" method works good. Just allow some extra time for cooking. There was also a post with criss-crossing the ribs like a Licoln log set up. this would allow more air flow to all the ribs. My Oaklahoma Joe didn't have enough width do try it. The cargriller should be able to accomadate that with no problem. If you have any questions on the "nn" method let me know. The picture Bob posted was 15 racks of baby backs.

E

Post Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:40 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

This is the post wlfpkrcn is referring to:
"The stacking system works very well (nnn ribs), I’ve used it many times and it produced moist and tender ribs. But I have a better way of doing a lot of ribs at the same time without having to rotate them. This way does not require longer cooking time either.The best way I can describe it to you by using this picture:

Forgive me for using wood rods to illustrate this method, but I don’t have any ribs on hand. You’ll have to imagine that each rod is a rib rack. You can stack them as high as your smoker can handle (in the same order). You can also have two stacks next to each other’s. The gape in the center serves 2 purposes. One it allows the smoke to mingle among all the racks, and two it gives you room to spray the entire stack of ribs during smoking without moving any of them. If you’d like to try this, let me know if you have any questions about it. I don’t know how big your smoker is, but I would stack them up in the square fashion for a try out first. If they fit, then use it. I promise you the results will be excellent.
Good luck!"

Post Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:51 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Z, You'll take a picture of just about anything, won't cha! :shock: :wink:
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:45 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

How did the ribs turn out? What method did you end up using?

E

Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:48 pm
FedoraDave medium-well
medium-well

Last June, I prepared something like two dozen full racks of baby backs for RibFest.

It was a challenge, and I'm going to have to modify some of my technique for RibFest '05, but they sho' nuff fit. I used racks to stand them on their sides on the grate, and was able to fit a few on the warming rack as well.
There is NO SUCH THING as "pork tartare!"

Return to General Discussion