Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Rebar Grates

Rebar Grates

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:52 pm
Leatherneck well done
well done

I read the search on this but didn't get a warm and fuzzy on the answer. I just got a 55 gal drum grill made (which I haven't used yet) and they made the grates out of 1/2" Rebar. Good to Go or No No?

Post Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:11 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I would assume that that they are made with the same mild
steel as the expanded diamond shape grates on most
large smokers.

Once the paint or protective coating is burned off and brushed very thoroughly,
keep 'em greased and you should be fine.

Unless you order stainless Lang's and others grates will rust if not kept lubed.

The same should be true of re-bar as long as it's not galvanized.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
New Braunfels Hondo offset
Bar-B-Chef offset
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Q-220

Post Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:19 pm
cigargreg medium-rare
medium-rare

1)They might take a long time to heat up so you might not get good grill marks
2)All the rebar I have worked with has a texture to it that could make food stick.
3)You can find some nice new grates for around 20 dollars and you will know there "clean"
Are they "new steel" or did they pull the out of some parking curb?

I wound say no go :cry:

Post Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:25 am
Leatherneck well done
well done

It's "new," but it's still got that usual rebar surface rust on it. I figured a good brushing and seasoning might do it but I'm still a little leary. What's different about rebar and expanded metal?

What about those "stainless Lang's and others" YB? Are they expensive? All I'm paying for this grill is the food (and beverages) that I'm going to get for the fellows who made it.

Post Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:38 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

If its new rebar you should be ok, as far as chemically and structurely. Keeping it seasoned and rust free mat be the tricky part though. With all the surface area on rebar particularly 1/2" it will certianly act as arust magnet.
Go or no go? That depends on how much work you want through the life of the rig...

Post Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:09 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

What I was referring to in stainless was the cooking grate,

Most of the major pit mfg's Klose, Lang, Pitts and Spitts, etc.
standard grates are mild expanded steel
and will rust if not kept oiled. They offer stainless but at a higher cost.

Expanded metal lends itself to smoking more than grilling since it is thin.
If you are looking for searing ability and grill marks it just can't
store up the heat.

Most metal suppliers should be able to provide you with
stainless expanded metal and recomend a shop to cut it
to size and attach a frame to the edge.

Or you could just slap it down on top of the rebar.

Enjoy your new grill.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
New Braunfels Hondo offset
Bar-B-Chef offset
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Q-220

Post Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:30 am
snapshot0729 well done
well done

YardBurner wrote:
I would assume that that they are made with the same mild
steel as the expanded diamond shape grates on most large smokers.

The biggest concern here that we've all seen and experienced is the sag factor of softer metals after they're heated. Think of the charcoal grate on a 22 1/2" kettle and anything else that has a long stretch between supports. Eventuallly the metal will sag in the middle from the heat, and gravity. If this drum has a center brace (left to right welded to the top and bottom of the drum), running under the cooking grate this sagging tendency would be lessened considerably over one that didn't have this feature. A piece of angle iron or channel iron should be used here.
YardBurner wrote:
Once the paint or protective coating is burned off and brushed very thoroughly, keep 'em greased and you should be fine. Unless you order stainless Lang's and others grates will rust if not kept lubed.

I'll agree with this. Don't clean the grate when you've finished your session. Leave it filthy. Just make sure you start your sessions with a blazing fire to assure you get the metal really hot to sterilize it and then brush as usual. You'll still have a rust problem (you're not gonna get away from this) but it will be much less than a grate that is cleaned after each use.

YardBurner wrote:
The same should be true of re-bar as long as it's not galvanized.

If it is galvanized this has to be removed 100% before use. Burning zinc is highly toxic to inhale, and this form of zinc is toxic to ingest. I wonder what it would cost to have these fired, and porcelain coated...My concern there would be that the porcelain on the ribs of the rebar would get worn quickly from turning utensils, and you'd have the rust anyway. Keep us posted, and let us know when the party is... We'll be there. :wink:

Joe

Post Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:54 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

snapshot0729 wrote:
If it is galvanized this has to be removed 100% before use.

Thats a good idea but unfortunately its not possible. Once something is galvanized it can never be taken off. The galvanizing process results in the zinc alloying itself to the steel metallurgically. Unlike paint, galvanizing forms an impenetrable barrier to water and oxygen. And the zinc acts as a sacrificial anode protecting the steel from rust and corrosion, even if the surface has been damaged. Much more durable than painted coatings, hot dip galvanized parts will last 20 to 25 years, or more, without maintenance.
Unfortunately the stuff puts off toxic fumes when heated to the extent that we all would want or it would be fabulous for grills and smokers.

Post Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:15 pm
buttsmoker well done
well done

I just called our local steel supplier he gave me a ball park price of 350-400 for a 3/4 x9 4x8 sheet. That is a 3/4" opening #9 gage or about 1/8" thick SS. His remark to me was be sure to support is good or it will tist and or warp on you.
Food for thought.

Jim
model 84 lang smoker

Post Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:38 am
Leatherneck well done
well done

Think I'll probably go with expanded medal for the grate and keep the rebar for the charcoal grate. Haven't decided yet.

Post Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:20 am
snapshot0729 well done
well done

wilhinson wrote:
Think I'll probably go with expanded medal for the grate and keep the rebar for the charcoal grate. Haven't decided yet.

Here's some yadda yadda from another site, from someone considering the same thing you are... Might prove to be useful...
http://www.barbecuenews.com/forum/topic ... PIC_ID=790
Joe

Post Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:40 am
Leatherneck well done
well done

Thanks Snapshot.

Return to General Discussion