Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion BGE vs Globe Café Ceramic Grill

BGE vs Globe Café Ceramic Grill

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:56 pm
Bruin03 raw
raw

A friend of mine is shopping for a new grill and one of the ones I recommended to him was a BGE. He went to the local BBQ Galore and they tried to sell him a "Globe Café Ceramic Grill", a BGE-knock off painted red. Has anyone had any experience with this grill? It's $600 cheaper than a same sized BGE, not an insignificant chunk of change for him. I know that BBQ Galore already went out of business once a few years ago, so there are warranty concerns with the Globe while the BGE would be backed by BGE's warranty.

Thanks!

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:01 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

Bruin03 wrote:
A friend of mine is shopping for a new grill and one of the ones I recommended to him was a BGE. He went to the local BBQ Galore and they tried to sell him a "Globe Café Ceramic Grill", a BGE-knock off painted red. Has anyone had any experience with this grill? It's $600 cheaper than a same sized BGE, not an insignificant chunk of change for him. I know that BBQ Galore already went out of business once a few years ago, so there are warranty concerns with the Globe while the BGE would be backed by BGE's warranty.

Thanks!

$600 is pretty substantial. I used to go through a $100 charcoal grill per year on average (grilling year round and not doing any maintenance, covering, etc.) What is the full retail price of the Globe ?? I p[aid about $750 for my Grill Dome and am reaching probably about year five. It comes with a "lifetime " warranty that I would never in a million years expect the owner of the company to honor. If I get three more years out of it (which is about what I expect before it crumbles) I figure I'll have broken even.)

The BGE seems to be the Gold Standard, though expensive, but I am still interested in the evolution of the Bubba Keg Stainless version.
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:58 pm
Bruin03 raw
raw

The globe retails for $600
http://www.bbqgalore.com/globe-caf-ceramic-smoker.html

He's getting a quote of $1000 for a BGE Large, and the total $$ of the accessories (table/stand) he's looking at are another $200.

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:20 pm
jsperk well done
well done

I would stick with one of the big three in ceramics. I haven't any issues with warranty for Grill Dome. I went through my dealer when I needed a firebox, other than that my dome still look brand new.
Phillyjazz thats sucks you must have got a lemon. Did you ever talk to Ashish? The owners son, he seems to be more active for Grill Dome now and from what I understand is better to work with.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:36 am
Bruin03 raw
raw

Who's the third of the big three? I really only hear about BGE

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:56 am
Griffin well done
well done

Iwould think Primo would be in the Big 3.

With a BGE, you are buying more than just the Egg. You are buying into a lifestyle or as some would say a cult. The amount of support you can find on the Egghead forum beats out any other ceramic forums from what I have heard. You also have Eggfest across the country, don't think any other ceramic cooker has those. Plus you get a lifetime warranty on your cooker. All those convinced me to purchase my egg.

Bruin - if its possible, tell your friend to attend an eggfest near him and buy a demo egg. It will only have been used that one day, still has a warranty and its priced with a huge discount.

I'm not trying to take away from or put down other ceramic cookers. I have never cooked on one, nor do I know what they cost. I'm just sharing my experience with BGE.

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:59 am
jsperk well done
well done

Yes, I would consider Primo in the three. I'm excluding Komodo Kamdado because of the price. They actually have a gas start up and rotisserie attachment.
I like the oval shape of the xl primo. I cooked on a g.d. and egg they both cook really excellent. Sometimes though I prefer food off my weber kettle over a ceramic grill.
Grill Dome/Stoker

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:05 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Bruin, before your friend spends that kind of money on a knockoff he may want to shop around a little more on the BGE or one of the other better known brands. I've had my large egg for 1.5 years now and I paid right around $800 with nest, a few eggcessories, and a 20# bag of BGE charcoal. Different dealers will give better prices, and as already mentioned he can go to an eggfest and get an already assembled and used only once egg for a great price too, with the warranty intact.

I use my egg at least twice a week, but often much more than that, and I can't imagine it not lasting me a minimum of 10 years. One of my friends has gone through 2 gas grills and is getting ready to purchase his third, all since I got my egg. I can't speak for the Grill Domes or the Primos, but I haven't really heard any negative things about either that would cause concern. I would, however, be leary of the unknown brands and I have seen some BGE "copies" at local stores that were so cheap looking that I wouldn't trade my rusted CG that hasn't been used in over 2 years for them.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:12 am
jsperk well done
well done

" I have seen some BGE "copies" at local stores that were so cheap looking that I wouldn't trade my rusted CG that hasn't been used in over 2 years for them."

I agree. The one my local lowes has in stock only has a one yr warranty.
Grill Dome/Stoker

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:36 pm
toyman medium
medium

My BGE is 3+ years old and I entirely expect to have it indefinitely. I have no signs of any potential issues right now. I keep it covered when not in use and clean it up occasionally. The only items I see being a future potential issue would be the steel bands. Definitely look at another dealer and compare pricing, and make sure that your comparing apples to apples. (ie: cost of accessories) When I researched mine, I was almost sold on the Grill Dome, but shipping made the price difference between it and the BGE immaterial. One of the knockoffs was just coming out (Loggy Bayou?), but again the price difference was only $150. I got mine for $750 with a plate setter and bag of lump. I built my own table but cooked with it sitting on a few bricks until the table was done. The tough part is that there isn't a "Cheap" ceramic cooker, so buying a knockoff is still a healthy investment with too many unknowns. (quality, warranty, company longevity, etc). The one that really caught my attention this past winter was the Bubba Keg. They were clearing them out at Home Depot for $300 or less, with the hitch mount. At that price, I would have bought one to have around for portability and an extra cooker. They still make them, but under the Big Steel Keg name. Any correlation?
Large Big Green Egg
JennAir NG 3 burner
Wood Fired Oven
Ultra Sear Grill
Weber Silver B

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:58 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

jsperk wrote:
I would stick with one of the big three in ceramics. I haven't any issues with warranty for Grill Dome. I went through my dealer when I needed a firebox, other than that my dome still look brand new.
Phillyjazz thats sucks you must have got a lemon. Did you ever talk to Ashish? The owners son, he seems to be more active for Grill Dome now and from what I understand is better to work with.

I have never dealt with Ashish. I dealt with T.K. and found him an absolute a$$. The Dome works but it looks like crap, the paint is all peeled off the top of the lid and it has developed some hairline cracks around the lower vent. I went through absolute hell with the lid gap for the first few months I owned it, and fried the gasket. TK sent me a strip of pool table felt that looked like it was cut by a third grader. I have no complaints as to how it performs, but I certainly don't recommend them to anyone.

- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:42 am
Bruin03 raw
raw

I just wanted to post a followup. My friend ended up getting the BGE! He's very happy with it, and I helped him break it in on the 4th.Thanks for all your feedback!

Post Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:03 am
Griffin well done
well done

What, no pictures of you helping him break in the egg? Glad we could be of help.

Return to General Discussion