Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion GA Mountain Eggfest 2011 (Pics!)

GA Mountain Eggfest 2011 (Pics!)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat May 21, 2011 8:53 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

It was a great time. My wife and I drove up on Thursday afternoon (gorgeous drive), checked in, wife did a little shopping, went to dinner and had then called it a night. On Friday, we decided to make it a fun-filled day. We went to lunch at a local Que joint (which sucked big time BTW), went to the movies, then to an absolutely breathtaking vineyard in Young Harris--Crane Creek Vineyards. We did a tasting of all their wines and soaked in the scenery...

Meet "Scruffy".....lucky little bastard gets to call this home!!! :lol:

Then on Friday evening, we attended the "Meet and Greet" for the Eggfest. Everyone their was very, very down to earth and friendly. It's amazing how everyone knew everyone for the most part. I met some really nice guys on the Egghead Forum. Ate some great food too...

This morning, we got to the Eggfest bright and early! :D

I ate an ABT at 0915 AM!!!! It wasn't even seeded. What an eye opener first thing in the morning! :shock:

Then it was time for BGE 101.....a really talented pro from the Egghead Forum hosted this and taught the class--Kim Youngblood. As it started, I snapped this picture, and right after I did so, Kim Youngblood said, "Is Mr. Dyal in the crowd?" He told me to come on up and help him demonstrate since he was using the demo egg that I had purchased! :D I was very pleased to know that I had a pro breaking in my new egg! He only used it once for some chicken wings, so it didn't get messy at all.

Here's Kim placing the wings on the egg...

The wings were great! I was still hungry though, so I grazed on various foods from other booths. Another Egghead Forum Member, Jupiter Jim, is an avid Alligator Hunter, so he smoked up some Alligator Sausage! Not too shabby!!!

My wife and I stuffed ourselves silly. After the egg cooled down, we loaded her up and headed home! :wink:

Here she is with her older sister, Chargrilla, in her new home!..... :D

Went a little crazy and bought some extras... A platesetter, pizza stone, electric fire starter, grill extender, firewires and a bunch of Dizzy Pig spices...

I'm one happy man, to say the least! :D
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sat May 21, 2011 9:14 pm
SCBBQLVR rare
rare

Looks like a great time. Congrats on the Egg! Can't wait to see all the posts!
Char-Griller Duo w/ SFB

Post Sat May 21, 2011 11:20 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Congrats on the new egg, Dyal.

Post Sun May 22, 2011 8:28 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Thanks, gals! :wink: We had a great time. I think my first cook today will be a Beer Can Chicken and some "Not Yo Momma's Cornbread." I will of course take some pictures.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sun May 22, 2011 10:14 am
p-nut well done
well done

Sweet! Do you plan on building a wood table for her?

Post Sun May 22, 2011 10:38 am
QJuju well done
well done

That looks like a great place to have an eggfest and y'all had an even better time. Big grats on all the new toys too!! I know to those that haven't experienced it yet the Eggheads seem a bit "cultish" but as you said... they are "very down to earth" folks that love to cook.

Again... grats! have fun! I know you are going to love it.

Post Sun May 22, 2011 12:53 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Thanks, guys!

p-nut, I don't think I will be building a table anytime soon. The grill gazebo has enough table area to suit me for now.

Qjuju, we did indeed have a great time! I was just a "taster" this year, since I had never cooked on an egg before, but I will be back for 2012, hopefully, as a cook.

I just fired it up for the first time....I'm struggling to keep it under 290, but I guess I'll eventually get it tweaked just right. I guess it will get easier with more practice, which I don't mind! :wink:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sun May 22, 2011 1:06 pm
FrankC well done
well done

Looks like you and the Mrs. had a great time! You're going to love that egg! Let me know what you think of the electric starter. When I got mine, I went straight to the weedburner for lighting up.

Congrats and enjoy!

fc
Large Big Green Egg
Medium Big Green Egg

Post Mon May 23, 2011 8:50 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Congrats Dyal! 8)

Post Mon May 23, 2011 2:23 pm
SCmustardman well done
well done

Wow! Looks like a great time. I'm going with you next year. I'm going to start saving for an egg.
I've never had a bad day barbequeing or fishing. I've just had some that were better than others.

Post Mon May 23, 2011 2:25 pm
Griffin well done
well done

And we have another future egghead in the works!! :D

Post Mon May 23, 2011 4:32 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

FrankC, I like the electric starter a lot, so far! Just cover the ring with a few coals, plug it in, wait 7 minutes and you're all set. Real simple, and it's nice not to have to worry about newspaper ashes or oiled paper towels for the chimney.

SCmustardman, you and I should be cooks at the Atlanta eggtoberfest (if there will be one) or cooks at the next eggfest in Hiawassee next year. Cooks are eligible for drawings to win BGE's and other stuff. :wink:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue May 24, 2011 10:26 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The best part was that you gave the wife a nice weekend away from home. That's always a good way to score a few points. :wink:

Brad

Return to General Discussion