Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion "Barbecue Season"

"Barbecue Season"

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat May 21, 2011 9:20 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Since it is that time of year for most other folks... :lol:

I decided to gear up for it.

120 homemade paraffin starters (240 if you cut them in half) used for lighting the chimney, fireplace, campfire, or fire pit:

Enough wood chunks to last a while, two 5 gallon buckets and a laundry basket heaping full:

It's a little foggy out this morning so the photo-flash caught the tiny droplets of water in the air. I restacked all my firewood and tidied it up. Near to far; Sweet Berry wood, Pecan, Oak, Mesquite:

Now if I can only find time to use it! :lol:
Last edited by Bob-BQN on Sat May 21, 2011 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Sat May 21, 2011 9:52 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Looks like you're good to go. You know the old saying..."failing to prepare is preparing to fail"!! :lol:

Brad

Post Sat May 21, 2011 11:22 am
headbuttrubber medium-rare
medium-rare

Is there a link somewhere on how you make those paraffin starters?
Good Friends and Great BBQ... Life doesn't get any better.

Post Sat May 21, 2011 1:16 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Howdy headbuttrubber. They are really easy to make. I melted old partially used candles in an old coffee can and mixed in saw dust that I collected from cutting small logs into chunks. The ratio is about 1/3 wax - to 2/3 sawdust. I like to use just a little more wax than that so that the mixture is a little on the "wet" side. That way some of the pariffin will soak into the paper egg carton too.

Here is an old topic where we talked a little bit about them: Paraffin Starter Discussion.
Last edited by Bob-BQN on Sat May 21, 2011 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Sat May 21, 2011 2:10 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Geez Bob: Make no small plans :wink:

Actually around here I think the conventional "wisdom" is the season runs from Memorial Day to Labor Day. The stores have been getting the BBQ stuff in for a few weeks now and they start trying to sell it off after July 4th. Kinda sad cause as far as I'm concerned it goes from New Years Day to New Years Eve 365 days a year. You just dress a little different.

Since I always have newspaper around I have never used parafin in the charcoal chimney. Is there and advantage using the paragon vs newspaper? TIA

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Sat May 21, 2011 5:10 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Jim - Newspaper works just fine, but we don't take the paper so there's never any around here. I use my turkey fryer burner most of the time to light the chimney as it's fast and easy. :lol:

A wad of newspaper may last a minute or so, whereas a paraffin starter will last 12-15 minutes. Newspaper can get damp, the wax keeps the starters water proof. You also don't get any ash or burning embers flying around with the starters like there is with paper. The main reason I'm making them is all the materials are free.

Yeah, even down here in Texas where it's warm year 'round (for the most part) the stores still gear up this time of year and taper down at the end of the summer. I guess it's because there just aren't enough hard-core outdoor chef's in the world. :wink:

Post Sat May 21, 2011 9:07 pm
Andy medium
medium

I too prefer the paraffin starters. Newspapers burn too fast & make ash that blows everywhere.
Andy

Weber Genesis 1000
Weber 22.5" One-Touch Silver
Weber 18.5" One-Touch Silver
Weber 14.5" Smoky Joe

Post Sun May 22, 2011 8:23 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Nice! That will last you a couple weeks at least! :wink:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sun May 22, 2011 10:39 am
QJuju well done
well done

Dude!! If you ain't ready now you never will be. :) You put in some hard work on that and I cant wait to see the Q that comes from it!

Return to General Discussion