Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Spicy Chorizos!

Spicy Chorizos!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:07 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

I was thumbing through the Barbecue Bible earlier this morning and ran across page 231, Spicy Chorizos...

The recipe called for 2.5 lbs of pork, but my boston butt was a 4.5 pounder. After deboning it, I figure it was about 4 lbs. So I had to do some calculating to get the proportions right for the ingredients. Wow, math was much easier for me when I was a kid! :lol:

Here's the butt:

Minus the bone:

Ingredients ready to go in with the ground pork:

Mixed together with the KitchenAide:

Linked up with Natural Hog Casings:

My mancave getting ready for action!! :D

Grilled indirectly with some Wicked Good Charcoal...

Grilled up some sesame buns and red onions to go with the Spicy Chorizos. My wife made an Arugula salad with White Balsamic for the side.

The flavor of the chorizos were AWESOME!!! However, they were on the dry side. :? I either cooked them too long, or more fat was needed. I'll have to use a instant read thermometer the next time I grill some up. I have a ton of them in the freezer after whipping up this batch, so I guess I'll know in the near future. All in all though, great meal! :)

Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:38 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Woe Dyal, I am impressed!! That chorizo looks as good as the stuff you get in the store. I'm sure it tasted even better. What I like is you can make them as spicy as you'd like too. I'm curious what type of store did you get the hot dog casing from? A New Years Resolution for me this year was to revisit my old cookbooks to look for new things to make. This post makes me think that is going to be a great idea.

Jim

Post Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:35 am
Griffin well done
well done

:shock: That is impressive! I would love to try and make sausage one day.

Hey, my Babrbecue Bible doesn't have color pictures. Or any, come to think of it. No fair. :(

Post Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:47 am
sroach well done
well done

Dyal,

Very Impressive. Are you going to take orders and ship them out by any chance??

Post Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:21 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Thanks, guys! :) These definitely had a better flavor than the chorizos I've had from the store, but next time I'll add more fat. This boston butt had little to no fat cap. I was expecting to see one when I flipped it out of the package, but Nope! :? Just a really thin layer of fat.

Jim, I have an AWESOME Sporting Goods, Camping, Fishing, Hunting, etc. store here in Columbia called "Sportman's Warehouse." It's like a slightly smaller version of Bass Pro Shop.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/

I get most of my Smoking Woods from them. They have Mesquite, Hickory, Pecan, Apple, Cherry, Maple and Alder Woods.

Griffin, did your wife get you your copy of Barbecue Bible? That may explain why it's in Black and White. 'Cuz we already know something must be wrong with her vision!!! :twisted:

sroach, NOPE, ya have to come to my house to get one. :wink:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:23 pm
Griffin well done
well done

No, more likely its just that my copy is a lot older than yours. I think they have a reprinted new addition now.

Post Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:36 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Ahhh, yeah, that's right, it's your awesome cooking abilities that keep her around. :wink: 'Cuz I've seen your mug. :twisted:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:36 pm
QJuju well done
well done

I got to try that... looks delicious!

Post Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:17 pm
SCBBQBill well done
well done

Awesome job Dyal....I don't have the ability to make sausages (yet)!!! :wink:

Oh and you two play nice! :twisted:

Post Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:55 am
smokin'gal well done
well done

Great job Dyal! You sure you're not a butcher? :wink: I've been thinking about making some beef summer sausage. Your results make me want to stop thinking and just "do" .

Post Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:47 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Thanks, guys and gal. :D

Bill, ya gotta get a KitchenAide or some other grinder with sausage stuffing capabilities. Ya won't regret it.

smokin'gal, actually, my father was a butcher before retiring. I chose a different route for my career, but enjoy this hobby. Grilling and smoking gives me and my father a common ground though for conversation. :) And yes, stop thinking about the summer sausage and do it already. And share the results with the rest of us! :D
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:07 am
sroach well done
well done

Dyal_SC wrote:
Thanks, guys! :) These definitely had a better flavor than the chorizos I've had from the store, but next time I'll add more fat. This boston butt had little to no fat cap. I was expecting to see one when I flipped it out of the package, but Nope! :? Just a really thin layer of fat.

Griffin, did your wife get you your copy of Barbecue Bible? That may explain why it's in Black and White. 'Cuz we already know something must be wrong with her vision!!! :twisted:

Griffin, The first good ball breaking of the year and you leave it alone.. I am very disappointed in you....

Dyal_SC wrote:
sroach, NOPE, ya have to come to my house to get one. :wink:

My Job brings me to Durham, NC a lot.. how far are you guys from there? an extended trip might be necessary.. Bass Fishing and Smoking...

Post Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:09 pm
SCBBQBill well done
well done

sroach wrote:
My Job brings me to Durham, NC a lot.. how far are you guys from there? an extended trip might be necessary.. Bass Fishing and Smoking...

Dyal wouldn't know a Largemouth Bass if it bit him....You'll have to come to Charleston for that! :wink:

Post Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:53 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

I'm about 4 hours away from Durham and Bill's a little bit longer than that. Maybe a tad too long for a road trip..... :? ......but maybe there could be some Barbecue event/competition at which a lot of us dedicated Barbecue Biblers could aim towards going and meeting. :D If it was scheduled far enough in advance, that way I could request off from work, I think it would be fun! :D
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:55 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

BTW, Bill, you forget that I was born and raised in the Lowcountry!!! :wink: I can't wait to confiscate one of those dollars from the Garagemahal!!!!!! :twisted:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Next

Return to General Discussion