Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Salisbury Steak Pictures

Salisbury Steak Pictures

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:26 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

My good BBQ buddy beercuer mentioned he was thinking of doing Salisbury Steaks on the grill and he touched some primal instinct in me. As soon as he said it, I knew I must have it. I used to love the Swanson's Salisbury Steak TV dinner. I found a recipe called strangely "Grilled Salisbury Steak with Belmont Sauce" even though it involved flouring the meat and cooking it under a broiler. I posted a question here about whether anyone had ever grilled floured meat, and adamlee34 answered he does a combination of grilling then pan frying. I decided this would be the approach. I'd grill it on the grill grate for half the time and then remove it, flour it and put it back on my grill's drop in flat top grill grate to finish.

I went ahead and made them a couple days ago and posted them up on my own web site but not here. I wanted to let beercuer post pictures of his Salisbury Steak cook, since this most excellent idea had started with him. He saw the pictures on my site and told me I should post my pictures here too since he was still working out details in the recipe he is going to use.

The "steak" used ground beef, chopped onions, garlic, green peppers & chives plus paprika, thyme, salt & pepper. I made 4 "steaks" that were about a pound each x 3/4" thick. The seasoned flour was interesting too as it mixed 10 spicy dried herbs and spices in with the flour. The Belmont Sauce which was more of a red sauce looked tasty too even though it was not a traditional brown sauce associated with Salisbury Steak. The user comments on the recipe singled out the sauce for special praise and though it wasn't the traditional brown sauce, it sounded really good. The sauce used butter, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, salt & pepper and a few other goodies.

To cut to the chase things worked out pretty well. I grilled the "steaks" for 3 minutes per side on medium high direct heat. This laid some nice grill marks on as hoped. I pulled off the "steaks" and sprinkled on the seasoned flour and spritzed it with some sprayed olive oil. Then it was back on to my grills flat top griddle which was set to medium high. This proved to be a little high and I flipped the "steaks" after 2 not 3 minutes. I reduced the heat to low and the other side browned nicely. Then it was onto a platter for a topping of the Belmont Sauce. The steaks were great. I could taste the grilled flavor and the flavor of the flour. The steaks had a nice crust on the outside and was moist and tasty inside. The Belmont Sauce was the big surprise, it wasn't just good it was excellent and I am thinking of other uses for it.

So here are the pictures and thanks again to beercuer for this great idea. I think this is the best comfort food I've cooked this year. I am looking forward to seeing what his creative take on this will be.

Image]

Jim
Last edited by jfm0830 on Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:10 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Even Stevie Wonder would say "Ddddddddang!" if he saw that! :lol: :lol: That's one mighty fine looking dinner there, Jim! Wow!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:14 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

One word - "Yummy"! :shock:

Post Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:16 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Jim, if we were in the same neighborhood, I would not make my own-- I'd come over to your house and enjoy yours! Man, that looks delicious. I luv that recipe, too. It has a wonderful combination of ingredients and spices and herbs. I can imagine such flavor really hits the spot! :D
Got beer???

Post Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:02 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Looks awesome!!
I would definitely try those soon, great meal as always Jim.

Post Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:47 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Thanks gentleman for your kind words. This recipe is back in the queue for Saturday's supper. I should have room again by then, those were big "steaks". I'm not sure what the size over Hungry Man Dinner is - Hungry as a Horse perhaps, but these were it.

beercuer wrote:
Jim, if we were in the same neighborhood, I would not make my own-- I'd come over to your house and enjoy yours! :D ...snip

Since you were the inspiration for this idea, you would of course be welcome. Except we do have a strict admission policy. You would be searched at the door for bottles and if you weren't carrying any you would be turned away. :wink:

Somehow with your handle I don't think that would be an issue.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:29 am
QJuju well done
well done

That does look delicious! I was hoping for the foil pan though... :lol:

Post Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:46 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I can't imagine those tasting anything like Swanson's Salisbury Steak TV dinners. :wink: You musta done something wrong. :lol:

Looks delicious Jim. Great job! :D

Post Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:51 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

jfm0830 wrote:
Thanks gentleman for your kind words. This recipe is back in the queue for Saturday's supper. I should have room again by then, those were big "steaks". I'm not sure what the size over Hungry Man Dinner is - Hungry as a Horse perhaps, but these were it.

beercuer wrote:
Jim, if we were in the same neighborhood, I would not make my own-- I'd come over to your house and enjoy yours! :D ...snip

Since you were the inspiration for this idea, you would of course be welcome. Except we do have a strict admission policy. You would be searched at the door for bottles and if you weren't carrying any you would be turned away. :wink:

Somehow with your handle I don't think that would be an issue.

Jim

No worries my friend. In fact, forget the Clydesdales, I'd pack up the Chryser! I'd even bring along some of my beef jerky.

And if those are about a pound each, that's about my size, too. Please be sure to tell your folks I say do they know how lucky they are. :D
Got beer???

Return to General Discussion