Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Baltimore Pit Beef & St. Louis Pork Steaks

Baltimore Pit Beef & St. Louis Pork Steaks

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
jfm0830 well done
well done

The annual Cook's Illustrated Summer Grilling guide for 2010 is on magazine stands now. It is full of recipes and tips for some great grilling. This years version had two region recipes that I just love: Baltimore Pit Beef sandwiches and St. Louis Pork Steaks.

The Baltimore Pit Beef takes and eye of the round roast and has you apply a spice rub to it and then the roast is cooked directly on high heat for the whole time. You get a roast with a dark bark and a rare inside. The meat is sliced thin and served on kaiser rolls with a sauce that is a horse radish/mayo based blend plus some sliced onions. Whey you can't tell from the pictures below is how great it tasted!

The second item was St. Louis Pork Steaks. I've always wanted to try these but even from a specialty butcher around here the pork steaks had to be special ordered. This recipe showed how to cut them out from a Boston Butt. The pictures below show the steaks just cut from a Boston Butt ready to go on the grill with the BBQ sauce they will braise in next to them. After searing the steaks, they are braised in a spicy BBQ sauce in a covered foil pan. The second pix shows them 1 hour along. They get seared again after braising and the last two pix show the final results.

On tap for this weekend are Smokehouse burgers (a thick burger spiced on the inside and direct and indirect grilled with smoke) & Corn grilled with Chili Butter from the same 2010 grilling guide. For tonight Brats in Beer from the 2009 Summer Grilling Guide. For Monday ground Lamb Kebabs from Planet BBQ. But I need to wrap this up so I can start the brats.

Jim
Last edited by jfm0830 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Fri May 28, 2010 6:35 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

Looks great !! That's the only way to eat eye round !!
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Sat May 29, 2010 8:59 am
BBQ Bob well done
well done

WOWzers...that looks really great. Thanks for sharing, jfm0830 and thanks for the heads up on Cook Ill....love that mag.
FURN. Short for furniture that I should have instead of this thing - wifie

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:02 pm
QJuju well done
well done

WOW is correct... love that beef. Perfectly cooked! I haven't done pork steaks before, but those looked quite tasty too.

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:44 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Excellent pics, Jim! That step of searing the pork steaks again after braising them is a really nice touch.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:21 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Both dishes look and sound absolutely delicious!!

Post Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:29 pm
rogerja well done
well done

Two of my favorite things. Great job!

Return to General Discussion