Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint BBQ in Columbus, Ohio?

BBQ in Columbus, Ohio?

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Fri May 07, 2010 4:21 pm

I'm heading to Columbus next weekend and was hoping that someone could tell me where the best barbecue is in that area. I'll be in the Dublin area and would like to try a few Q-joints, but would like recommendations for the best one that you would recommend.

Thanks in advance!

Post Fri May 21, 2010 11:08 am
rogerja well done
well done

Not that many around here. Outside of my backyard, City BBQ is probably the best, though it's now a chain. There's one just nort of Dublin, and one just south of Dublin. Brisket, turkey, chicken and sausage are best bets. Monday is $5 off combo platters, Tuesday is $1 ribs.

On the east side, Cook Shack BBQ is OK. Pork is better than beef.

Don't go to Montgomery Inn for ribs - they're pressure cooked, then slathered in sauce.

Post Fri May 21, 2010 3:51 pm

WOW!!!

Too bad I didn't get this post earlier, as I'm currently sitting at the gate in the airport heading back to North Carolina.

I actually found "Hoggy's" on Sawmill Road in Dublin on Monday night and then I went to "Montgomery Inn" on Wednesday night. I looked for "City BBQ" on Riverside Road in Dublin, but never found it.

Hoggy's was pretty good - I got the "Grazer" which had pulled pork, pulled chicken, beef brisket and ribs along with a couple sides and cornbread sticks. The pork was moist, but a bit chewy with okay flavor. Not much smoke at all, but the sauce that was mixed in was rather spicy and tasty. I gave it a 3.0 on my 1.0 (bad) to 5.0 (best) scale of pork barbeque ratings. The pulled chicken was okay, but the brisket was absolutely wonderful! A wee bit dry (chopped fine) but with the best brisket flavor I've ever had. The ribs were LARGE and very tender and flavorful. Sides were okay too.

Montgomery Inn was a bit disappointing as it wasn't the quality I was expecting for that price. Ribs were small and not nearly as good as Hoggy's! I rated the pulled pork a solid 3.0 as it too was moist, but stringy and chewy with okay flavor.

I'm looking forward to getting back to the Raleigh area and judging a few barbeque competitions coming up fairly soon (including the Texas Pete RibFest in Winston-Salem in June).

Post Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:09 pm
BaneyQ raw
raw

Hoggy"s is pretty good. So is City BBQ. But they seem to be hit or miss for me. I only go when they are busy for good product. Give me a year and Hopefully I'll be running my own joint. :)
WSM 22.5
Weber 22.5 Kettle
Smokey Joe
NBBQA
KCBS

Return to Best BBQ Joint