Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Spiedo Bresciano (Italian BBQ)

Spiedo Bresciano (Italian BBQ)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:04 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

It’s been a long winter and I can’t wait for it to end so I can try my new rotisserie grill. The grill has no lid, so it does not work well while it’s cold out.
While I’m waiting for thing to defrost, I’ve researching different methods of BBQ and collecting interesting pictures and information.

I came across an old method of BBQ from an Italian town called Brescia. The dish is called “Spiedo Bresciano” Spiedo in Italian means “Spit” or rotisserie and Bresciano refers to the city where it came from.
Here is a couple of links with some description: http://italianfood.about.com/od/italian ... 120507.htm
http://garda2o.wordpress.com/2008/02/12 ... lo-spiedo/

The dish is basically made from a verity of meats that are skewered together with Sage and potatoes in between and cooked slowly- up to 5 hours. So it does meet a low and slow definition. Traditionally it was cooked on a spit rotating over open fire or in front of a fireplace.
Here are some pix:
In modern time, people developed a BBQ grill that is very unique that could achieve the same job in less time.
This grill has an offset firebox and two drip pans.
The first drip pan sits on top of the grill and has multiple holes in it.
It’s used for basting the meat without opening the grill…is that unique or what!!!
Some times they load it with butter and bacon and let the grease bath the meat
Here is the meat getting a shower of butter
The second drip pan sits in the bottom of the grill and collects all the drippings.
They initially use oil for basting for the first hour and discard all the dripping from the raw meat. After the first hour they use butter or bacon and the drippings are caught from the bottom of the grill and recycled- How genius!!!

They use a verity of meat at the same time. Historically wild birds where used, but not limited to one type. Birds are still used to include chicken, quails..etc. They also use rabbit, pork (shoulder and ribs), and what ever is available.
Pork ribs cut up
They slice the pork shoulder thinly, place fresh sage in them and roll them.
Image Image
The meat is then placed on skewers alternating with potatoes, fresh sage and the different types of meat.
Image Image

Here are the spits used for this process.
The spits loaded

As far as seasoning, I only found that salt is being used, in addition to the sage. The salt for some reason is applied towards the end of cooking- not sure why?
As I mentioned, the cooking time is about 4-5 hours, so the temp must about around 225-250?? And charcoal and wood is usually used for fuel and flavor. So you see this really qualifies a real BBQ. You got Low and slow cooking method, charcoal and wood are used and the meat gets a generous amount of basting.
Look how perfectly this meat is browned
Not one hint of burned end!!

I’m really fascinated by this and can’t wait to try it. After all, it is BBQ and it’s made out of meat and potatoes :)
I’ve added 8 spits to my new grill (4 to each rotisserie) to duplicate this process. Of course I don’t have a special grill like the one above, so I’ll use the open fire method. My grill already has the drip pans to collect the dripping from the bottom and I just have to hand baste.
Now I just have to wait until it gets warm :(

What’s also good about this system, it requires very little tending too. Since the rotisseries are doing most of the work, I just kick back and enjoy the aroma :)

Here is a link from Youtube with a video of Spiedo Bresciano
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTvcsansDNI
Last edited by BBcue-Z on Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:32 pm
tbk420 well done
well done

Absolutely fascinating.

Can't wait to hear how it works! :shock:

Post Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:23 am
Ericd medium-well
medium-well

Once that thing is set up, you're going to have no choice but to invite us all over.
My grills don't care about your honor roll student.

Post Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:29 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The in-the-lid basting pan is a great idea! I wonder if Weber would have any interest in designing a 2-piece WSM lid with that feature.

Brad

Post Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:45 am
SuperQue medium-rare
medium-rare

Whoa. That looks awesome. It reminds me of the Brazilian steakhouses but it's clearly different with the variety of the meats and the basting.
Home Depot Guy: Stockin up on charcoal for the big game?
Me: No, I'm out. This is normal.

Post Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:03 pm
JD_Smokes well done
well done

That's awesome. It's quite impressive how much meat fits on those skewers. Yep, you'd definitely be able to feed us all, so just let us know the date/time. kthx. :D
Eating meat is murder.....mmmm, tasty, tasty murder.
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals

Post Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:24 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Great pics, Z! 11:30 AM and I'm already in BBQ overload.... :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:45 pm
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Great looking stuff Z! Glad to see you back around here lately.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:35 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Thanks Kenny13, it’s good to be back :)
I’m glad you guys think the stuff is interesting!!
I’m so fascinated by this process and can’t wait to try.

Yes, it does hold a lot of meat. It’s a very sufficient system. The concept of one spit carrying 3 or 4 other spits maximize the smallest space.
That’s what I tried to do when I added 8 spits to my 2 rotisseries. Each spit measures 43 inches, but after hooking them onto the plate, I get about 40 inches of usable space per spit.
That’s 40 inches X 8 = 320 inches or approx 26.6 feet of rotisserie space :)
And you all are welcome to join us; you just have to come to Atlanta :)
What’s also good about this system, it requires very little tending too. Since the rotisseries are doing most of the work, I just kick back and enjoy the aroma :)

Here is a link from Youtube with a video of Spiedo Bresciano
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTvcsansDNI

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:10 pm
Heebzman medium
medium

WOW...totally awesome. That would really work well for parties and get togethers for sure. Are you going to try various cuts of pork and meat also ?

You might just go broke trying to fill those skewers though....

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:27 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Heebzman wrote:
WOW...totally awesome. That would really work well for parties and get togethers for sure. Are you going to try various cuts of pork and meat also ?

You might just go broke trying to fill those skewers though....

Yes, I’m going to use it mostly for big parties and such. I go camping with a big group and do all the cooking for them, this going to be very handy for those events. I also have the option of using one rotisserie with one or two spits for smaller parties.

I will definitely use verity of cuts and meats. For large party, I always cook more than one type of meat to give people options. I may have to take out a loan to fill up this thing :)

Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:48 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

I've had this. It's spectacular. Thanks for the great photos.

SR

Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:00 am
Griffin well done
well done

That looks amazing. let us know when you are gonna have that huge party. I'm in.

Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:39 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Amazing post Z!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I had to keep scrolling up and looking at those pictures for a while. I was at a loss for words. I wish you the best of luck when you make your inaugural run.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:05 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

That's just awesome. I think I'm moving back to Atlanta, lol. I'll be waiting for my invite. :-)

Next

Return to General Discussion