Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion top sirloin vs sirloin tip

top sirloin vs sirloin tip

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:11 am
eon medium
medium

anyone know whats the difference between these cuts and which one is better for grilling?
thanks

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:41 am
lostarrow well done
well done

I've been grilling top sirloin recently, its tasty & tender enough for me, My wife likes ribeyes & filet better but we ate sirloin when we were first married & are doing it again.
New Braunfels
vermont castings gas grill
WSM
Char-Griller Kamodo

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:57 am
eon medium
medium

ya thats what ive been doing recently: just top sirloin. I've recently done some ribeyes and I think I like the sirloin better
reason I'm asking this is because I was looking for top sirloin and only found tip sirloin. I just settled with the ribeye because I was not sure if tip sirloin is the same as top.

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:24 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

To the best of my knowledge, the Sirloin is a SUB-primal of the LOIN primal cut (which also includes the more desirable Tenderloin.) Cuts like Porterhouse, T-bone, Strip and Filet come from the SHORT loin (behind the ribs) whereas the SIRloin (further back, connecting to the ROUND (or butt) is flavorful but tougher.

The top Sirloin is probably the most tender (relatively.) The Sirloin TIP (also called Tri-tip) is highly sought-after as a roast, but rarely seen in supermarket meat bins.

http://www.steakperfection.com/cut/Sirloin.html

Here is a good link that explains in further detail..
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:29 am
rogerja well done
well done

Here's where non-standardized meat names is problematic - while a a sirloin tip can be a tri-tip (with ball tip, etc., still attached), it is usually a part of the round.

Top sirloin, is just that, sirloin from the "top" of the animal. It's from the back of the primal, with the shortloin being in the front. The top sirloin is one of the best value steaks out there, great beefy flavor with sufficient tenderness. It's like a poor mans's strip steak...

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:57 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

rogerja wrote:
Here's where non-standardized meat names is problematic - while a a sirloin tip can be a tri-tip (with ball tip, etc., still attached), it is usually a part of the round.

Top sirloin, is just that, sirloin from the "top" of the animal. It's from the back of the primal, with the shortloin being in the front. The top sirloin is one of the best value steaks out there, great beefy flavor with sufficient tenderness. It's like a poor mans's strip steak...

When I buy dry-aged Prime, it's usually all I can afford, but EXTRA beefy and tender !
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Return to General Discussion