Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Scandinavian Barbeque

Scandinavian Barbeque

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:56 pm
nicneufeld well done
well done

Tonight I did a dinner that might be classed as sort of Norwegian food. Sirloin steak seasoned with juniper, fennel, salt and pepper, seared and grilled over charcoal to medium rare, then topped with a unique sauce of beef stock, flour, juniper berries, salt, pepper, sour cream, akvavit, and last but not least, Norwegian gjetost cheese. This is a delightful cheese made by boiling the milk until it caramelizes, for a sort of sweet brown goat cheese.

Plated up, we've got the steak with gjetost sauce, boiled potatoes with fresh dill and butter, lingonberries, and a few slices of extra gjetost. Accompanying, the only aquavit I could find locally at this time, a pretty straight-ahead caraway-to-the-forefront akvavit from Aalborg in Denmark. Delicious, regardless.

22" Weber Kettle One-Touch Gold w/ Smokenator
2009 18.5" WSM
Pro Q Cold Smoke Generator

Post Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:15 pm
d_holck well done
well done

I've got to admit I'm unfamiliar with Scandanavian dining, and seeing that plate, I think I'm worse off for it. Thanks for sharing, and expanding my horizons...
"... mmmmmmm 'bacon'."

CG Outlaw w/SFB
UDS
Old classic Weber Kettle

Post Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:22 am
phillyjazz well done
well done

Besides meat, potatoes, lingonberries and herring I'm not sure what else Scandinavians eat ...
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:25 am
Kiiski rare
rare

phillyjazz wrote:
Besides meat, potatoes, lingonberries and herring I'm not sure what else Scandinavians eat ...

LUTEFISK!!!

Not this scandinaviah, though :x

Kiiski

Post Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:09 am
nicneufeld well done
well done

Yeah, the lye fish scares the devil out of me. Also rakfisk! I'm going to have to pass on both, no matter how much akevitt is in the bloodstream! Although either can't be as bad as hakarl (sic?), the fermented/rotted sharkmeat of Iceland.

I am cooking up a salmon filet in a similar style some time this week. That's at least a bit more moderate...I prefer my fermented comestibles to be liquid-based if possible! :D
2009 18.5" WSM

Post Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:14 am
nicneufeld well done
well done

Oh, and to give credit where credit is due, Andreas Viestad of New Scandinavian Cooking gets credit for this exceptional sauce. His was originally for venison filets, but those are hard to come by for me, unless I get the Lee Enfield out and wait for deer season. Also instead of pan-searing I grilled over a blistering hot fire, hence the "barbeque". Not to mention, I lacked a beautiful summer view of a pristine fjord in the background while cooking...Missouri has some nice scenery but nothing so grand in my back yard!

This is one of my favorite dishes now, I think!
2009 18.5" WSM

Post Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:29 pm
Trollby well done
well done

Kiiski wrote:
phillyjazz wrote:

LUTEFISK!!!

Not this scandinaviah, though :x

Kiiski

Hey Lutefisk is great in lefsa!

Nice plate.

Thanks for sharing

Post Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:26 pm
wfriesen1 rare
rare

nicneufeld wrote:
Oh, and to give credit where credit is due, Andreas Viestad of New Scandinavian Cooking gets credit for this exceptional sauce. His was originally for venison filets, but those are hard to come by for me, unless I get the Lee Enfield out and wait for deer season. Also instead of pan-searing I grilled over a blistering hot fire, hence the "barbeque". Not to mention, I lacked a beautiful summer view of a pristine fjord in the background while cooking...Missouri has some nice scenery but nothing so grand in my back yard!

This is one of my favorite dishes now, I think!

Could I get the recipe for this sauce? I eat a lot of venison; deer are so thick here in central MI that they are handing out crop damage permits.
Thanks

Post Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:52 pm
nicneufeld well done
well done

Certainly, its right here:

http://www.scandcook.com/default.asp?page=20&recipe=39

I wish I could watch this show more often...it gets placed very rarely on our local public TV station, never regularly.
2009 18.5" WSM

Post Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:29 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Another Scandinavian cooking/culture show is "Perfect Day". I watch it on PBS although I don't think it's on the current schedule.

Brad

Post Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:32 am
nicneufeld well done
well done

Brad_Olson wrote:
Another Scandinavian cooking/culture show is "Perfect Day". I watch it on PBS although I don't think it's on the current schedule.

Brad

I saw a bit of one of those episodes. The host was a Finn, sort of balances out New Scandinavian Cooking which had a Norwegian, Dane, and Swede sharing hosting duties.
2009 18.5" WSM

Post Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:50 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Wow- that looks great! I haven't had gjetost cheese in a long time, although the local Ikea has a restaurant and I go there at least once a month. Great meal, nicneufeld! :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:16 am
nicneufeld well done
well done

Did basically the same meal again last night, except this time, swapped out the beef for a spice encusted planked salmon, with an akvavit/caraway/lemon/dill sour cream sauce.

Wasn't bad, but I think I still like the beef a lot better!

2009 18.5" WSM

Post Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:40 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nic, you're not fooling anyone.

You're cooking this stuff just to have a reason to break out the aquavit, aren't you. :twisted:

Brad

Post Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:14 pm
nicneufeld well done
well done

Brad_Olson wrote:
Nic, you're not fooling anyone.

You're cooking this stuff just to have a reason to break out the aquavit, aren't you. :twisted:

Brad

:shock: Caught me! :lol: Seriously I wish they had a better selection, this is the only aquavit I can find locally but I know there are other good ones.
2009 18.5" WSM

Next

Return to General Discussion