Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Chicken: Boil before grilling... your thoughts, please.

Chicken: Boil before grilling... your thoughts, please.

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Murman well done
well done

Folks,

I am cooking beef Tri-Tip and BBQ chicken (legs and thighs) for twenty (scratch that, now 38 plus) folks next weekend on my CG DUO.

I plan to cook the beef over coals, sear, then go indirect. No big deal.

I plan to use the gas side for the chicken.

My idea is to boil the chicken, then marinade the boiled chicken in Italian dressing overnight. On game day, I will reheat and crisp the chicken on the gas grill, move to the warming rack and brush on BBQ sauce and allow the sauce to set before serving.

I have never boiled chicken before grilling. I have heard of it, never done it. I usually indirect cook or smoke my chicken.

80% of the time it is fine. :D
10% of the time it goes into the microwave "for a few". :roll:
10% of the time it gets dry or "charred". :evil:

I cannot take chances on this chicken. No under cooked chicken allowed.

May I have some of your wisdom on this subject?

Thank you,

Murman 8)
Last edited by Murman on Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber 22.5 Kettle
CharGriller DUO w/SFB
UDS - 55 gal

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:58 am
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

I can't believe a fellow Californian asked that question. We just lost que street cred. Thanks man :evil: Marinate in italian dressing and then cook on the gas. No need to add BBQ sauce. The dressing adds enough flavor and moisture. DO NOT BOIL YOUR MEAT!!!!!! Unless you are making chicken broth. In that case boil a whole chicken to flavor the water.

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:10 am
Don Marco well done
well done

Never ever boil chicken or ribs or whatever comes good of the grill. The best thing about that is the soup. :evil:

Sounds like youre having troubles finding the right doneness. You should invest in a good thermometer ( Thermapen is the best but theres some cheaper units out there that also do fine) to check the meat.

DM

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:12 am
Murman well done
well done

street cred:

Commanding a level of respect in an urban environment due to experience in or knowledge of issues affecting those environments...

"He's been thru it all. His street cred is undeniable."
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber 22.5 Kettle
CharGriller DUO w/SFB
UDS - 55 gal

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:13 am
KAL8080 medium-rare
medium-rare

I didn't think the word "boil" was even allowed to be used in this forum. lol j/k
If its legs and thighs i wouldn't even marinate. why not throw some spice on those buggers and throw them on the smoker side for a couple hours to about 180 deg.! then it would be more then proper to throw on some sauce. as a matter of fact just talking about it has inspired me to do some tomorrow. :P

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:15 am
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

Murman wrote:
street cred:

Commanding a level of respect in an urban environment due to experience in or knowledge of issues affecting those environments...

"He's been thru it all. His street cred is undeniable."

:lol:

See...We just lost all respect due to lack of experience and knowledge :lol:

BTW- I hope you realize I was joking. Boiling is a sin around here.

It's one of the BBQ commandments
-Thou shall not boil your meat

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:10 pm
tpizel medium-well
medium-well

I personally would never the chicken. I indirect grill chicken legs with one "round" of mesquite chips. Around 275 for an hour gets the job done. Eat it off the leg, or cut the meat off and throw it on Hawaiian sweet rolls..yum. It's one of my favortite things.
Weber Kettle
Kingsford Charcoal Grill
Big Baby Homemade Smoker (under construction!)

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:17 pm
Murman well done
well done

Weber Smokey Joe
Weber 22.5 Kettle
CharGriller DUO w/SFB
UDS - 55 gal

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:26 pm
tex_toby well done
well done

Chicken is cheap - way cheap. Do a practice run or two. It cooks fast too, so you are not really out much time. I indirect chicken quarters in about an hour. Just make sure they are completely thawed when you start. That is the only time mine has ever come out not done enough - I was rushing the thawing process and didn't get it quite thawed in the center. :oops: :lol: An hour indirect at 350 to 375'ish should get them done perfectly. Also, as mentioned, use a therm.

tex 8)
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:23 pm
DropaStone medium-well
medium-well

In My neck of the woods boil is a four letter word. Meat is just not meant to be boiled unless your cooking a soup or a stew. I usually just just cut the backbone out of mine and throw it on butterflied I cook a whole chicken in about 45 min then BBQ it and set on the cool side of the grill for about 15 min. There you go done in one hour.
Smokem if you got'em
CG PRO W/SFB
MasterBuilt Gas Smoker

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:13 pm

I'm in complete agreement with everyone here. DON'T BOIL!!!! It will only draw out the chicken's fat and natural juices. As far as marinading, I've used italian dressing before with pretty good results, but anymore I only marinade if I'm making wings, and I use a hot sauce mixture before I cook them. For leg quarters, breasts, or whole chix, I've found that a good rub is all I need.

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:15 pm
Murman well done
well done

Hmmm...

I got it.

Just say no to boiling chicken before grilling.

Has anyone cooked chicken in this manner before?

I do have six chicken thighs that I am going to prepare as above.

More to follow,

Murman 8)
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber 22.5 Kettle
CharGriller DUO w/SFB
UDS - 55 gal

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:17 pm
Trollby well done
well done

I have marinated chicken in Italian dressing before grilling many times. Turns out great, I really like to do the boneless/skinless breast that way

Never boil unless I am making soup

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:36 pm
Murman well done
well done

I boiled the six thighs for 30 minutes, the internal temp was 194*F. I cooled the chicken, put it in a vaccum seal bag with dressing, sealed it and tossed the bag in the fridge. I will give it an hour and a half (this is just a test) and run it across the gas grill on the DUO.

More to follow,

Murman 8)
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber 22.5 Kettle
CharGriller DUO w/SFB
UDS - 55 gal

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:25 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

Did you just say you BOILED the chicken for 30 minutes ?????
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Next

Return to General Discussion