Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Briquette Charcoal Ash Disposal

Briquette Charcoal Ash Disposal

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu May 14, 2009 3:20 pm
jmartis well done
well done

Hey Guys,

I am super lazy and hate disposing of items after grilling. I was wondering if anyone dumps the ash from Charcoal BRIQUETTES over mulch in areas where nothing is growing/you don't want anything to grow? I read it can damage plants and stuff, but could it serve as a weed prevention? Thanks!

Post Thu May 14, 2009 3:28 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I don't recommend it, except on areas you're not growing plants on such as paths between raised beds and such. And even then, use it very sparingly.

To give you an idea why: I use the ash to make lye for home-made soap.

Wood and charcoal ashes can drastically alter the pH of your garden beds. It can also do the same to your compost pile and turn it into a slimy, stinky mess as the increased pH kills off the beneficial bacteria. So keep it away from the plants you want to keep and don't use much of it. Better yet, you might not want to use ashes on your garden at all - and I'm saying that from personal experience.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu May 14, 2009 4:33 pm
Grill-Miester medium-well
medium-well

I have been dumping the ash all over my yard on the grass thinking it was harmless. I gota stop doin that. :roll:

I need to get a metal trash can...

CG Duo 5050 w/SFB

Post Thu May 14, 2009 5:34 pm
FrankC well done
well done

I asked the same question last fall. Since then, I've been putting the ashes from the grills, and the fireplace around the edge of my patio, where I don't want anything to grow. It works!

fc
Large Big Green Egg
Medium Big Green Egg

Return to General Discussion