Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Freezing and Thawing Pulled Pork

Freezing and Thawing Pulled Pork

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue May 05, 2009 8:11 pm
Adayoff2Q medium
medium

I am sure this topic has come up before, however, I thought I would just throw it out there - catering a wedding rehearsal dinner in June for 30 - 40 and thought I would smoke a few butts early. In terms of freezing the pork and thawing/reheating it., what are the best methods of freezing and defrosting times. Does the pork lose or maintains its smokey flavor?
I Grill Therefore I Am - Socrates

22.5 in. Weber X 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Kenmore Elite Gasser

Post Tue May 05, 2009 9:39 pm
jazzspot well done
well done

Ziplock freezer bags are good.... FoodSaver vac bags are better for long-term freezing without the fear of meat freezer burn or lossing the quality of its taste. Freezing the pulled pork is fine. You could thaw it first to reheat in the oven, crock-pot, etc. I use a FoodSaver, so I just take the sealed bag of meat out the freezer and place it in simmering just boiled water for 15 minutes or so Tastes as good or even better than the day the meat was smoked. If you don't have a food bag sealing appliance, get one. My FoodSaver is about the best appliance I've bought and I use it often.
ImageImage

Post Wed May 06, 2009 8:12 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Same as jazzspot.

And no, the pork does not lose any flavor freezing and reheating.

Post Wed May 06, 2009 10:25 am
olewarthog well done
well done

I agree with the no loss of flavor. I have frozen both naked & sauced pulled pork & cannot tell any difference in flavor from freshly cooked. I don't have a Foodsaver thingy, so I freeze mine in ziplocks. Be sure to get the good quality ones, not the cheapo off brand. I usually fill bag about 2/3 to 3/4 full, then zip the seal about 3/4 closed. I lay the bag on it's side & press the Q flat to force out the air, then seal it. They wil lay nice & flat in the freezer.
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Char Broil 3 burner gasser
ECB

Post Wed May 06, 2009 10:29 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

I agree with the opinions above, and I love my foodsaver too. Good investment.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Wed May 06, 2009 12:41 pm
Lazy Qer well done
well done

I agree with everyone: love my Foodsaver. You can get one at Costco pretty cheap.

One trick I learned in reheating pulled pork in the crockpot: pour in a can of Coke (1 can good for about 5lbs). This restores the moistness and adds NO coke flavor (has to be regular Coke, not Pepsi as Pepsi is too sweet). I was skeptical until I tried it... and now I that's how I reheat pulled pork: thaw out in the fridge overnight, then put the pork in the crockpot in the morning with Coke and then ta-da! Pulled pork sammiches for lunch or dinner.
"It ain't bragging if you can do it" - Babe Ruth

Post Wed May 06, 2009 1:09 pm
Adayoff2Q medium
medium

Interesting idea - might have to give it a shot - thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply. It looks like a FoodSaver purchase is in my near future.

Lazy Qer wrote:
I agree with everyone: love my Foodsaver. You can get one at Costco pretty cheap.

One trick I learned in reheating pulled pork in the crockpot: pour in a can of Coke (1 can good for about 5lbs). This restores the moistness and adds NO coke flavor (has to be regular Coke, not Pepsi as Pepsi is too sweet). I was skeptical until I tried it... and now I that's how I reheat pulled pork: thaw out in the fridge overnight, then put the pork in the crockpot in the morning with Coke and then ta-da! Pulled pork sammiches for lunch or dinner.
I Grill Therefore I Am - Socrates

22.5 in. Weber X 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Kenmore Elite Gasser

Post Thu May 07, 2009 8:39 am
mac24312 medium
medium

HI
DEFINITELY get you a Foodsaver. I know you are not going to believe this but I have a Professional one I have had 10 years and still going strong!! :shock: :shock:

If it goes out today I will go and get me another one at my local Kitchen Collections because they have a lifetime Warranty on all there products...

HUGS
Christina
CG with SFB mod
Aussie Gas Grill
Very used Water Smoker

Post Thu May 07, 2009 9:08 am
jazzspot well done
well done

mac24312 wrote:
If it goes out today I will go and get me another one at my local Kitchen Collections because they have a lifetime Warranty on all there products...
HUGS
Christina

Thanks Christina!! I googled 'Kitchen Collections' and found that there is one about 10 minutes from my house!! I'll have to browse the store and see what's available there. 8)
ImageImage

Post Thu May 07, 2009 11:16 am
Michigan Fats well done
well done

Bob-BQN wrote:
Same as jazzspot.

Pulled pork is always better 2 days later in my opinion...I use a foodsaver as well and when I smoke some butts, I smoke a lot of them. Package them up in 1# bags and either freeze them ot hand them off as thank yous.
Al

Post Thu May 07, 2009 12:13 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Michigan Fats wrote:
Bob-BQN wrote:
Same as jazzspot.

Pulled pork is always better 2 days later in my opinion...I use a foodsaver as well and when I smoke some butts, I smoke a lot of them. Package them up in 1# bags and either freeze them ot hand them off as thank yous.

+1

In fact, I smoke up a couple extra butts any time I can manage it. I like to have some extra pulled pork in the freezer for when company shows up, or when I'm too lazy to cook lunch. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri May 08, 2009 12:23 am
767dvr medium-well
medium-well

[quote="jazzspot"]Ziplock freezer bags are good.... FoodSaver vac bags are better for long-term freezing without the fear of meat freezer burn or lossing the quality of its taste. Freezing the pulled pork is fine.

Jazz is spot on. I freeze the pork before sealing it with the foodsaver. I tried sealing the pulled pork before freezing and the moisture came out of the pork leaving it dry after reheating.\

Have a good weekend!!
Cheers,
Ed
Weber Silver C
WSM
Smokey Joe

Post Fri May 08, 2009 10:06 am
p-nut well done
well done

If you can do them the day before then you don't have to freeze anything.
Just smoke, foil and wrap in the cooler and then pull into a big aluminum pan (those disposable ones) and put in the fridge.
Next day just heat up in the oven.
I make sure I add enough fat into the pork so that I don't have to ever add water.
This is pretty much the way I do pulled pork every time.

After everyones ate, I foodsaver the rest.

Return to General Discussion