Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Weekend Grill - Baby Back and "Trayed Short Ribs"

Weekend Grill - Baby Back and "Trayed Short Ribs"

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
tpizel medium-well
medium-well

Had some company come over on Sunday, and again for Monday Night Football..thought I'd grill up some baby backs and some trayed short ribs. I've posted a question in the past about trayed short ribs, and there was some confusion what they are...pics should help. That's what Sam's Club calls them anyway. My wife likes to call them "Bacon Ribs" (even though they're beef) because of the shape.

Ribs just on the grill:

[Image

Ribs after I unfoiled them - you can see a few of the trayed short ribs..I decided right after this to put those on a seperate grill

Ribs Sauced (well, the one on the left is unsauced for a special request) with Sweet Baby Ray's:

Second grill with the "trayed short ribs:"

Baby backs were smoked with Mesquite using the 2-2-1 method.

"Trayed short ribs" were marinated in Stubbs Teriyaki merinade (although I like Trader Joe's organic Teriyaki much better). Indirect grilled them for about an hour, then put them over direct heat for about 20-25 minutes to "firm them up."

Anybody else made these "trayed short ribs," or seen them and know them by a different name? I think the term "trayed" is because due to their shape, they are sold in a "tray."

I purposefully cooked way more ribs than I needed (only had a few people over on Sunday), so I could have leftovers for Monday Night Football. That night, had Chilli and Ribs...yum!

Post Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:45 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

They look like flanken-style (cut across the bone rather than parallel to) short ribs to me.

Brad

Post Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:59 pm
tpizel medium-well
medium-well

Ah...ok...I remember seeing a post about "flankenstein" ribs a few weeks back..I think I'll go back and re-read that thread.

Post Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:14 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Looks so delicious! :D

Post Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:26 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Great looking ribs, tpizel! And yes, these definitely look like flanken-style ribs. I use these to make Korean short ribs all the time. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:40 am
jfpick56 raw
raw

It never ceases to amaze me; I learn something new every time I log on to this board. What are "Flanken-style" ribs? I'm ashamed to say I've never heard of them.

Post Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:06 pm
tpizel medium-well
medium-well

They're basically beef short ribs cross cut - thus each one of them have three (or so) bone pieces spaced out in them, but they're flat.

They've grown to become a neighborhood favorite at my place...I marinate them in a Teriyaki sauce I get from Trader Joe's. My current process on these are to indirect grill for about 30 minutes, then foil for 30 minutes, then direct grill for about 5-10 to firm up a bit.
Weber Kettle
Kingsford Charcoal Grill
Big Baby Homemade Smoker (under construction!)

Post Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:23 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

"Flanken" is Yiddish from the plural of German "Flanke" meaning "side."
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:33 pm
Trollby well done
well done

looked mighty tasty!

Thanks for sharing

Return to General Discussion