Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion how long will pulled pork in vac seal stay good 4

how long will pulled pork in vac seal stay good 4

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
767dvr medium-well
medium-well

hey all, How long will pulled pork stay good for in the fridge? I am planning on vac sealing it. I need to cook prior to the feeding frenzy. I can of course freeze it but I would rather not.

Cheers,
Ed
Cheers,
Ed
Weber Silver C
WSM
Smokey Joe

Post Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:22 am
Martin medium
medium

About a week ... but longer if you keep it sealed up.

I found this information on a website:

http://www.healthgoods.com/Education/Nu ... elines.htm

Cured Meat

Cured, smoked, and ready-to-eat meats include ham, bacon, smoked pork and sausage products. The heat, smoking and processing of these items inactivates most bacteria and enzymes. Leave these products in their original wrapping to prevent further contamination. Once opened, most cured meat products will stay fresh under refrigeration for approximately a week and should be stored in airtight containers to prevent drying out of the meat and odors in the refrigerator. Do not freeze luncheon meats.
Char-Griller Outlaw w/SFB

Post Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:20 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I agree, a week is best... but I have been know to go two weeks because our fridge is extremely cold (It freezes water and tea in 2 to 3 days so we have to drink it fast)., therefore the meat stays good longer.

If you seal it and need to wait longer than a week, you can always freeze it and remove it from the freezer 2 to 3 days prior to needing it.

Post Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:36 am
767dvr medium-well
medium-well

Thanks 4 the replies, I think I will keep all vac seal all of it and fridge some and freeze most.
cheers
Cheers,
Ed
Weber Silver C
WSM
Smokey Joe

Post Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:46 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

As far as freezing vac-sealed pork goes, I froze some pulled pork 2 months ago and served it to some friends last night. It was still in excellent shape and my guests loved it.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:48 pm
KettleKooked well done
well done

We are still eating some pulled pork left over from my son's grad party held on Memorial Day of '07.

It was stored in ZipLok freezer bags, the air pushed out and froze. I can tell no appreciable difference in the meat at over a year old.
I like it fast, fun or tasty.
Pitmaster w/sfb
Smoke King w/sfb
BBQ Grillware stainless
Large Big Green Egg
Mike

Post Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:32 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

KettleKooked wrote:
We are still eating some pulled pork left over from my son's grad party held on Memorial Day of '07.

It was stored in ZipLok freezer bags, the air pushed out and froze. I can tell no appreciable difference in the meat at over a year old.

That's got me thinking that maybe I ought to cook up a few shoulders in a couple weeks time, and then freeze them. Pulled pork would be great for lunch in the winter months.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:21 am

Hey Canada. I beat 'ya to it. I did that last fall and had pulled pork all winter long and I didn't even have to go outside in the cold. Actually, I still have a little bit left.
Jenn-Air gas
Weber One Touch Gold
Char-Griller SP w/ SFB
Char-Broil gas
Aussie style charcoal
BBQ Grillware SS portable

Post Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:42 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

RaidersoftheLostGrill wrote:
Hey Canada. I beat 'ya to it. I did that last fall and had pulled pork all winter long and I didn't even have to go outside in the cold. Actually, I still have a little bit left.

You see? That's why I love this site. Thanks for the great feedback, Raiders! :D I'll see if there are any pork butts or picnics on sale the next time I go grocery shopping.

Return to General Discussion