Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion intoductory book

intoductory book

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue May 27, 2008 3:00 am
bbq_weiner rare
rare

thanks for you input on my new grill.. the CG duo!!! i'm a total n00b.. and want a book along with the forum on the basics... i want to work from the ground up!! any suggestions?!?!?
..What on Earth am I doing?

Post Tue May 27, 2008 4:08 am
smoke eater medium
medium

Get yourself a copy of Steven's book "How to Grill", it's one of, if not the best book out there. At least that's my opinion.
Proud CG owner!

Post Tue May 27, 2008 5:12 am

I actually like BBQ USA better than How to Grill, but they are the two best. I use them more than any of the others. I guess you'll just have to get em both.
Jenn-Air gas
Weber One Touch Gold
Char-Griller SP w/ SFB
Char-Broil gas
Aussie style charcoal
BBQ Grillware SS portable

Post Tue May 27, 2008 8:53 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

RaidersoftheLostGrill wrote:
I actually like BBQ USA better than How to Grill, but they are the two best. I use them more than any of the others. I guess you'll just have to get em both.

I really like both of those books, but for a novice I think How to Grill is better because of the step by step photos for a lot of things.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Tue May 27, 2008 10:30 am
bbq_weiner rare
rare

thanks guys.. i love this forum so far! i'll be around for awhile!

//getting both books :)
..What on Earth am I doing?

Post Tue May 27, 2008 11:24 am
tex_toby well done
well done

I like How to Grill for the photos. I like to at least see what the end result "should " look like! 8)

Post Tue May 27, 2008 1:02 pm

Kenny 13 wrote:

I really like both of those books, but for a novice I think How to Grill is better because of the step by step photos for a lot of things.

Yeah Kenny, that is a good point. I think about that everytime that I recommend BBQ USA, but I guess it just boils down to the fact that I use the recipes in BBQ USA more than How to Grill. I own both, I think everybody should.

When I knew I was going to meet Steven and get his autograph. I had to pick a couple of his books to take with me. I chose How to Grill and BBQ USA. I guess that shows that I thought those two were the best.

It was kind of funny, when he started to autograph BBQ USA, he started flipping through it and after a few seconds, he looked up and said, "I'm just looking to see what all you have been grilling." He was looking at all the notes and things I had stuck in between the pages. I figured I wasn't going to take all of that stuff out just so he could write in it.
Jenn-Air gas
Weber One Touch Gold
Char-Griller SP w/ SFB
Char-Broil gas
Aussie style charcoal
BBQ Grillware SS portable

Post Tue May 27, 2008 2:55 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Kenny 13 wrote:

How To Grill is the one I'd recommend for folks starting out. And yes, BBQ USA is my personal favorite, but How To Grill is the one I always recommend for beginners and novices because it's much easier to wrap your mind around. The reason I like it is because of those step-by-step photos - they help out very well when you're just starting out, or when you're unfamiliar with a recipe or technique. BBQ USA is more of a BBQ encyclopedia - tons of information and recipes, but not a lot of pictures.

One of the guys at my local BBQ specialty store credits me with helping him sell over two dozen copies of How To Grill last year just on my referrals alone. One of my friends I recommended the book to says it actually improved her marriage. She says her husband is now a good cook on top of all his other good points, and he's spending a lot more time in the kitchen which is fine by her. :D

There's a third choice, too, and that's the new 10th anniversary of The Barbecue Bible. I've gone through three copies of the original - mostly because I've lent the book to someone who never gave it back. :twisted: I've got a spot reserved on my bookshelf already reserved for it, and I should be gtting it next month. You might want to consider it for your second big BBQ book after How To Grill, too.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue May 27, 2008 4:10 pm
Jaylah

The guys here recommended How To Grill for my first purchase, and I've never regretted it.

But, of course, once you get started on the slippery-slope of buying BBQ books, whenever you see one you don't have, you decide you have to have that one, too! :lol:

But How To Grill is a great "beginner" book!

Post Wed May 28, 2008 2:09 am
primetime34 medium-rare
medium-rare

The 10th Anniversary Barbecue Bible book would be great because it'll have photos as well. I have How to Grill and BBQ-USA...I suggest How to Grill for the beginner although both are excellent.

Post Wed May 28, 2008 9:53 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I'm happy to hear that you'll be getting How to Grill, this book greatly improved me game. :D

Return to General Discussion