Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Prices - Pork shoulder vs beef brisket

Prices - Pork shoulder vs beef brisket

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:16 pm
GBitto rare
rare

Planned on smoking a pork butt (1.49 / lb. on sale) and wanted to try a brisket as well - figured I'm going to go through all that effort, might as well give it a try. Was shocked when everyone wanted $4-$4.50 / lb !!! Bought it anyway, came out OK, not great. For the price, I'll stick with the pork. Are these prices typical? The beef was not anything special (not labeled, not certiifed angus). What kind of prices are typical. Oh yeah, these prices are from stores in the Cleveland, Ohio area if region makes a difference. Thanks.

Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:23 pm
Rifter well done
well done

A friend notified me that Brisket was on sale recently, for $1.50/lb in this area (Boise, Id). I was kind of bummed. He wasn't sure how to cook it, so he had it in the crock pot, letting it soak.... *sigh*
Kevin 'Rifter' Rank

Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:35 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

I find brisket to be a little on the expensive side in my area. When I want some good brisket type BBQ, but don't want to pay the higher price I will get a chuck roast or two. Use the same rub and or mop as you would for your brisket. Get your smoker going and cook at an average temperature of 250 until the internal temperature gets between 180 - 195 degrees. Take it off and let it rest for about ten minutes. Slice it and serve it as you would a brisket. I think you will be very happy with the results.
Enjoy!

RichD

Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:07 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I think it's definitely a regional issue. When often have brisket at Wal-Mart for $1.28 per pound. I’ve seen it as high as $2.50 at times. When it hits the price wars at the local stores it'll drop below a dollar a pound. Just keep your eyes peeled for the sales! :D

Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:15 am
coke3324 medium
medium

:shock: Best prices I've found on a consistent basis for brisket, believe it or not is at Sams Club.

Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:56 am
Big D well done
well done

Well I would agree it is probably laregly due to the region where you live... perhaps you might get lucky and Cleveland will work like Halifax.... Nova Scotia is not big on brisket, heck the only person who knew what a Brisket was when I talked to them was my Mother because she lived in the South for a few years... I could not find a single one in any grocery store and to get one was very expensive (This included some of the local butcher shops) because it had to be special ordered... I decided to go to a butcher near my cottage, (this is actually a slaughter house and the guy carries entire cows in his freezers and cuts the meat to order) He wasnt even quite sure what I meant till brisket till I explained it to him and he always looked it up in a book of cuts he had... He gave it to me for dirt cheap cause this was part of the animal that was almost always discarded because it wasnt used.... pretty much the only time he sold it was with a freezer order for a whole side or whole cow

Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:25 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Big D that is such a sad, sad story :cry: . Please tell me it has a happy ending...

Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:30 am
Big D well done
well done

It does! The brisket was grrrrrreat! Although I have no basis to judge it on sinceI had never had one before getting HTG and the Bible since no one here has eve nheard of em....mmmmm

Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:47 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Oh Big D, you can change all that and drive the price for brisket up in Canada as well. :lol: Brisket cooks up ahead of time and reheats well, so if you get that mobile BBQ shack going you can offer it. Suddenly there'll be a market for it.

Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:14 pm
rjones raw
raw

In the St. Louis area the brisket has been running high. I remember it being a lot less costly. They just ran a special on pork shoulder ($.99 a LB) so I got a few of them. The next week yard birds were on sale so I got a few of them. They got the BBQ beer can chicken treatment. Quite good, I may add according to the people that ate them.
Keeping my eye for that on-sale brisket.

Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:11 pm
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

Virginia area:

Brisket-$1.28 a lb at Wally World
Pork Shoulder-$.98 a lb at Wally World

Was there yseterday, got 2 shoulders. Got a hankering for fresh tamales, gonna make them with pulled pork.
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:25 am
GBitto rare
rare

Smokey-bones
Thanks for the reply - I agree with you about the pork. Went ahead and smoked the beef along with the pork. It was OK, but not worth 8 hours and $3.59 a pound! Think I'll try a cheap roast (blade / chuck) next time.

Post Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:32 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Try chuck eye roast. It’s just slightly tougher than Ribeye roast, but very flavorful. It’s actually a continuation of the Ribeye roast. The chuck eye comes from ribs 1-5 (the shoulder area), where the Ribeye roast comes from ribs 6-12 (the loin area). The chuck eye roast cost a 1/3 of what you would pay for Ribeye roast.
Chuck eye Roast
Here is a link for a beef recipe I post a while ago that work with tougher cuts:
http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/view ... ight=chuck
Enjoy!

Post Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:25 am

BBQue-Z
Thanks for the advice and recipe - think I'll try beef again.

Next

Return to General Discussion