Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Making CG as airtight as possible

Making CG as airtight as possible

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:48 pm
fonzybear rare
rare

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a thread that recommended certain things to make a CG with SFB airtight? Or even if anyone has any suggestions that would be appreciated.

I have an outlaw but I think I'm losing alot of heat from the sfb itself as there seems to be a lack of airflowing from the vent to the MC. I'm having alot of trouble getting my temps up with this. What seems to be working is opening a crack of the charcoal tray open. So I thought maybe I can mod it by insulating both the MC and the SFB.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Ken

Post Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:06 pm
Triple Threat well done
well done

There are lots of threads on it. I'm no good at searches.

Send C. Piper a private message. He's a mad scientist with CG mods.
Weber Performer
Weber Q200
Chargriller SmokinPro

Post Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:27 pm
mrgrumpy well done
well done

I don't have the outlaw, but do have two super pro's with sfb's. There are a few here that do have the outlaws and I am sure they will be along.

Some basic questions:
Did you take the football shaped baffle out of the main chamber before attaching the sfb?
Have you made any other mods?
What fuel are you using?
Is the vent wide open?
Did you start with the sfb air vent open all the way?
Is the coal rack stock or is it elevated:?

That will give everyone some starting points to help you out.

Bill

Post Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:49 pm
fonzybear rare
rare

mrgrumpy wrote:
I don't have the outlaw, but do have two super pro's with sfb's. There are a few here that do have the outlaws and I am sure they will be along.

Some basic questions:
Did you take the football shaped baffle out of the main chamber before attaching the sfb? Yes
Have you made any other mods? Extended chimney and 2 grate therms
What fuel are you using? Briquettes
Is the vent wide open? yes
Did you start with the sfb air vent open all the way? yes
Is the coal rack stock or is it elevated:? I use 2 baskets from CG on the cooking grate

That will give everyone some starting points to help you out.

Bill

Post Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:01 pm
fonzybear rare
rare

I was wondering this because for a 6 hour cook, I used 2 10lbs bags of charcoal, loading every hour and a bit. I'm suspecting this is a little too much fuel to be using so I'm wondering if I'm burning too much.

Post Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:58 pm
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Something is definitely not right there. I can do a 16 hour smoke with less than 20 pounds of charcoal in my Super Pro. From what I've heard, the extra size of the Outlaw shouldn't make you go through that much extra fuel.

Do you have a lot of smoke escaping through the lid of the main chamber, or from the lid of the SFB? My SFB isn't very airtight and I use foil to make gaskets to help seal those areas, but my problem is too much air getting into the SFB creating too much heat.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:17 pm
fonzybear rare
rare

Kenny 13 wrote:
Something is definitely not right there. I can do a 16 hour smoke with less than 20 pounds of charcoal in my Super Pro. From what I've heard, the extra size of the Outlaw shouldn't make you go through that much extra fuel.

Do you have a lot of smoke escaping through the lid of the main chamber, or from the lid of the SFB? My SFB isn't very airtight and I use foil to make gaskets to help seal those areas, but my problem is too much air getting into the SFB creating too much heat.

Hi Kenny tks for responding. I do have alot of smoke being released from both the SFB and the MC. Alot of heat particularly on the left side corner of the SFB door. I thought it weird too because alot of the posts I read were using very little fuel compared to myself. Including other outlaw people.

From the beginning I always had trouble getting it to 230 at least. When I tried the opening the charcoal tray just a crack, it finally started to heat up rather than just leaving the vent open. But to keep the temps up I had to keep the vent on full and Charcoal tray open to stay on temp.So I'm suspecting that the draft created is going out before reaching the SFB opening somehow and/or not enough airflow going through the SFB. My baskets are on the SFB grate level so they have more than enough room to breathe. Dunno. Just my guess and any advice is greatly appreciated. .

Post Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:29 pm
fonzybear rare
rare

Triple Threat wrote:
There are lots of threads on it. I'm no good at searches.

Send C. Piper a private message. He's a mad scientist with CG mods.

Tks Trip and btw my jerk pork turned out great!!!! I butterflied it and once it hit around 170-175, I pulled it to crisp in the grill, making sure the leftover fat got nice and crispy...mmmmmmm. Let me tell ya that there wasn't a trace of that pork left at the BBQ!

Post Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:04 pm
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Fonzybear, next time you use the CG try using some foil to seal those places that let smoke out. You can just fold it over the SFB lid on the corner where it's leaking - just make sure it's thick enough to form a seal. I do that every place on the SFB that looks like it doesn't get a good seal.

If I were you I'd try sealing the lid on your MC because it seems like you may be losing heat there. If you're having trouble getting your temps high enough, you're either not getting enough airflow through the SFB or you're losing heat going into the MC. I'm more used to hearing people having trouble keeping temps down than those who can't get them up.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:11 pm
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Just an afterthought here, you said you're using charcoal baskets set on top of the SFB cooking grate. Could your charcoal be raised higher than the opening going into the MC where your heat is just going out the gap in your SFB lid rather than flowing into the MC?

I use a homemade charcoal basket that sits on top of the ash drawer and usually have more trouble keeping the temps down low enough. I've always thought it was due to the excess air leaks in the SFB (which are very visible), but now thinking about your problem I'm wondering if maybe raising my charcoal basket will restrict some of the heat flow into the MC and make it easier to control my temps. May just be a question of fine tuning the mods?
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:48 pm
fonzybear rare
rare

Kenny how high is your basket? With the grate, it reaches to the lip of the SFB. It definately could be leaking either from the bottom opening of the lip or that top corner that I said seemed really hot when I was putting my hand around the opening. For you I would think that makes sense since heat rises. I'm wondering by you raising the basket more, the heat would have even more transit time going out to your smokestack. I guess you'll be experimenting with it tomorrow too huh? :)

During my last smoke I was so frustrated it dropped to 150 that I was trying all kinds of things. What I ended up doing was raking the coals as close to the SFB as I could and only then it really boosted it up to 230. It stayed there for about an hour and started to drop again.

Although I think I understand what your trying to say about the foil, would you happen to have a pic of it? I'm a visual person :).

Post Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:58 pm
fonzybear rare
rare

fonzybear wrote:
During my last smoke I was so frustrated it dropped to 150 that I was trying all kinds of things. What I ended up doing was raking the coals as close to the SFB as I could and only then it really boosted it up to 230. It stayed there for about an hour and started to drop again.

Actually I meant putting the coals as close to the MC as I could.

Post Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:09 pm
d_holck well done
well done

Hey, fonzybear, thanks for posing this question... it's been on my to-do list to catch some research on this.

Recently I had some moderate success with the 'foil gasket' technique, but I had trouble getting it to stay in certain nooks and crannies. One area where mine seems to be leaky is along the back hinge. I've noticed smoke all along that seam. I'm thinking some oven insulating cord of some kind might be helpful there, just haven't gotten it done yet. Also had some luck earlier in the year (when it was a lot cooler out) in piling 7 or 8 old bath/beach towels over the MC to act like a blanket. This actually did seem to help insulate things. Of course, don't use the good ones or you'll be sleeping next to the grill. :shock:
"... mmmmmmm 'bacon'."

CG Outlaw w/SFB
UDS
Old classic Weber Kettle

Post Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:09 pm
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Sorry, I don't have any pics of the foil. What I do is tear off a piece of foil around 4-5" inches long. I then fold it until it's a strip around 1/2"-3/4" wide, then I just fold it over the edges of the lid or any place else that doesn't seal completely. That way it helps fill in the gaps. Just be careful not to use too much foil or you can prevent the lids from closing all the way, creating leaks in other spots. It really doesn't take much.

I've been really busy and it's been so ridiculously hot here in New Orleans, so it's been over a month since I've had a chance to cook anything in my CG. I won't be smoking anything tomorrow, but I do plan on grilling something - just not sure what.

My charcoal basket is approximately 12" x 12" wide and 6" deep. I have a little room to play with and had been wanting to get some small pieces of angle iron to raise it so I can remove the ash drawer without having to lift the basket (someone here gave me the angle iron idea in the CG family thread - my deepest apologies for not remembering who it was to give you your due credit). Airflow doesn't become an issue for me until ash starts to build up, but I need to see where my basket is sitting in relation to the opening to the MC - I'll check that tomorrow.

I'm just wondering, if I use the angle iron and raise the charcoal basket a little, maybe it will help fine tune things where some of the heat, which wants to rise, is nearer to the top of that opening so will have more trouble getting into the MC - thus making it easier to keep my temps in the 225* range rather than the 230-250* range.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:36 pm
fonzybear rare
rare

d_holck wrote:

Also had some luck earlier in the year (when it was a lot cooler out) in piling 7 or 8 old bath/beach towels over the MC to act like a blanket. This actually did seem to help insulate things. Of course, don't use the good ones or you'll be sleeping next to the grill. :shock:

My wife would not appreciate our white ralph lauren towels turning black lol.

I was thinking there must be some type of fire resistant tape that could be used to seal the cracks. If not would a fire blanket do like this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Skil-Care-Kitchen ... 504&sr=8-3

Next

Return to General Discussion