Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Smoking chicken and ribs together?

Smoking chicken and ribs together?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:26 pm
davdon well done
well done

Can I smoke chicken and ribs at the same time on low and slow? Will the chicken come out rubbery or will it cook faster? Opinions would really help for my July 4th party.

Post Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:51 pm
bigdad1213 medium
medium

you can do that i do it all the time it will ad to your cooking time but not muchmore then an hour or so..if the chicken is the right temp it should be fine it may have to cook a little longer
the best thing about grilling and smoking is the eating

Post Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:05 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Ribs take 6 hours to cook (3-2-1) and chicken takes 4 hours. Start with the ribs and add the chicken 2 hours later. This way everything will be cooked at the same time.
Image , Image

Post Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:10 pm
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Put your chicken next to the SFB (if you're using an offset) for crispier skin.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:23 pm
MaineiacSmoker well done
well done

On my first cook with chix & ribs together, it worked fine...just fired the gasser to crisp the skin...had 10 leg/thigh combos and only had 2 left, feeding 6 people.

Cheers,

Dave

CB 45K Gasser
Modified CG w/ SFB

Post Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:44 am
davdon well done
well done

I'll probably doing a whole chicken with the ribs. I was thinking of rubbing the bird with olive oil to crisp it up. Do you think that will work. I'm using a WSM for the first time.

Post Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:04 am
rogerja well done
well done

Put the ribs on the top,add the chicken on the bottom after 2 hours.

To crisp up the skin, remove the water pan when the ribs are done. Leave it for about a half hour....

Post Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:49 pm
bigdad1213 medium
medium

that would work but in my experience olive oil keeps it from absorbing the smoke so pyt it on when it is as smokie as you like it
the best thing about grilling and smoking is the eating

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:06 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Boy I hope so I'm doing 30 racks and 75 thighs just that way next week.
Seriously though you can absoluetly do this. Generally whenever I fire up The Big Heavy it is most often for chicken and ribs for a cookout. I do just as what was said start the ribs first (time depends on babybacks or spares) and then start the chicken about 4 hours to serve time. I try to cook the chicken at the hottest spot on the grill to help crisp the skin, because it does need heat to get crispy.
I also goose the heat in general for the last 30 minutes or so. By then I glazing my ribs so the extra heat is not bad and I'm starting to pull and cut them anyway. So the extra heat can't hurt the ribs but greatly helps the chicken.
Good luck.

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:04 pm
jamesstew well done
well done

I always thow the chicken on the grill with high-heat to crisp up the skin. Using a magnifying glass and sunlight takes too long.

Return to General Discussion