Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Platinum heads

Platinum heads

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon May 03, 2004 4:13 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

I know there are a lot of us and wanted to see a show of hands on who has one of these awesome grills.

Post Mon May 03, 2004 4:35 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I have a Master Touch. This model preceeded the platinum.

Same grill, no work table.

Does this count?

YB

Post Mon May 03, 2004 6:06 pm
TOMP rare
rare

I have one and love it. Mine is the green color!

Post Mon May 03, 2004 6:20 pm
hotchef well done
well done

I'm a proud owner of a green Platinum too. Grilled on Charbroil, Sunbeam, Thermos, and there is no comparison.

Hotchef

Post Mon May 03, 2004 10:57 pm

I've been using one for the past 3 years. It's never let me down.The cast iron grill insert makes a great rig even better.

Post Tue May 04, 2004 7:33 am
steede rare
rare

I've got a black Weber Platinum. I've only had it about a month, thus I guess I'm the Platinum newbie. I love it....one awesome grill. I think the best thing that ever happened to me was when my gas grill broke last year. At the time I also had a water smoker, that breaks down into a small charcoal grill that I used when the big grill broke. Using this really opened my eyes to the virtues of charcoal and "real grilling." When it came time to buy my new grill this spring it was a pretty easy decision- it had to be charcoal, and when I saw the Platinum One-Touch it was love at first sight :D

Post Thu May 06, 2004 1:32 pm
chagan well done
well done

I, too, sport a platinum. Love it to pieces. Why are the ones I'm seeing in the store comming with stainless grates. Mine is Cast iron? Do you have to specify when ordering or the newer ones come steel? (mine is 2 years old)

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Thu May 06, 2004 2:15 pm
hotchef well done
well done

I bought my Platinum about 3 months ago. It came with a stainless steel grate. I have heard y'all rave over cast iron so I looked online and couldn't find anywhere to get one. Does it really make that much difference? I've never cooked on a cast iron grate.

Hotchef

Post Thu May 06, 2004 2:25 pm
chagan well done
well done

Hey Hotchef, I emailed Weber and will post the reply when I get it. Seasoned cast iron is the best for cooking- grill marks are much easier to get and food doesn't stick per se, although the main reason food sticks is because people play with their food. Food will release when it is ready to be turned.

Post Thu May 06, 2004 11:39 pm
hotchef well done
well done

Appreciate it Chagan.

I wish someone would've told me that rule of the food will release when it is ready to be turned. I have wasted many a pound of ground beef because I tried to turn it too early.

Post Thu May 06, 2004 11:44 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Open beer #2 then turn the food. Open beer #3 then have some chip 'n dip.

Open #4 and take off heat. Eat dinner. Burp. Take nap.

Post Fri May 07, 2004 2:00 pm
chagan well done
well done

hotchef wrote:
Appreciate it Chagan.

I wish someone would've told me that rule of the food will release when it is ready to be turned. I have wasted many a pound of ground beef because I tried to turn it too early.

Another tip for hamburger is when the top of the burger starts to "sweat" (a fair amount of juice appears on the uncooked side) it is ready to be turned. HTH

Post Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:11 am
willisamrhein medium
medium

I hadn't realized this thread was present until Airfoils brought it to my attention in another thread.

I've had my Platinum since June. I received it as a father's day present from my wife and son. WOW! I had NO idea what I was missing using the gasser all the time. The versatility is amazing. And the food that this thing helps me turn out....amazing. I would like to give that cast iron grate a try as mine has the standard stainless steel. The next time I do ribs, will be on the Platinum.

It has become by far my favorite grill of the 3 that I own. I just wish it had the thermometer like the Performer, and a slightly taller lid. Mad BCC one night and the bird was touching hte ceiling.... :lol:

Is that BBQ I smell?

Post Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:14 am
Airfoils well done
well done

If you are making BCC, use fryer chickens instead of roasters. Something else you can do is buy a Weber rotisserie and use the ring for more hieght. Problem with that method for me is that I like rotisserie more than BCC. I've also heard of using a 18" cooking grate so it sits lower but haven't seen or tried that myself.

Glad you're enjoying your Platinum. They're wonderful grills for sure.

Return to General Discussion