Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grill Umbrella

Grill Umbrella

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:39 am
beef_tip rare
rare

I somehow have to manage to grill outside today in the rain, which makes me wonder if anybody has ever found any type of umbrella which would go over a propane or charcoal grill. The only one I've seen is sold through Harriet Carter and I have purchased stuff from them before which I was not too pleased with. Just thought I'd see if anybody suggests anything in particular.
Thanks

Post Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:42 am
Ian Mack well done
well done

Raining here too, but I haven't heard of any umbrellas 8)

Post Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:30 pm
Triple Threat well done
well done

good question Beef Tip - I've been looking for one of these for a while. Found lots of umbrellas, but I'm looking for something that will allow it to mount on the work table of my CG and/or Weber Performer. Something with a clamp, for example.

I came across a mail order catalog that allowed an umbrella to be clamped onto a chair-arm. Wife tossed the catalog too quickly though.

I think Menards might actually have something, I just keep forgetting to look. I wonder if an outdoor rec/furniture store might have them.
Weber Performer
Weber Q200
Chargriller SmokinPro

Post Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:10 pm
Triple Threat well done
well done

I just did some searching on the web and came across this. Looks adequate enough.

http://www.shopgetorganized.com/prodeta ... GO0406.asp
Weber Performer
Weber Q200
Chargriller SmokinPro

Post Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:36 pm
smokin' ed medium-well
medium-well

I know this may not apply to you, but when it rains I throw a tarp down on my deck then I cook underneath it. Obviously, you need to make sure your deck is well above you before considering this. The bottom of my deck sits about 12' above me. I've checked the planks and floor joices many times and they've never even been warm. The only time this doesn't work is when there is strong wind where the rain gets blown in. Otherwise, this works really well.

Post Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:14 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I use these “Easy UP” canopies for all my cookouts, whether I’m cooking at home or at the campsite, they make great shelter from sun and rain. I have not had any of them burn out on me from the grill heat this far. They come in 10’x10’ or 12X12’ sizes and they cost between $79-$99 dollars. You can find them at ant sporting good store or Wal-Mart.
Image , Image , Image

Post Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:20 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

I'm with Z. The Ez Ups work great

Post Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:07 pm
BingeAndPurge medium
medium

It just started dumping here, and I'm smoking a BCC. Luckily I have a covered front porch, but I've hung a tarp off of it to make a wall before. If I didn't have the porch, I think the Easy Up would be the way to go.
Back in the land of poisonous nuts

Post Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:52 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Sears has an EZ-UP for $109 on sale.

No big deal except it's 12 X 14!!!!!!!!!

I bought 3.

We always have some dealy or
another and I figured I'd get my money's worth.

To put that in perspective.
One will cover 2 of the folding $99 picnic tables Sam's sells.

$900 will seat AND shade and/or keep dry 48 people!!!

-YB
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:26 pm

Being in Florida I use an easy up when ever I cook. The only time I didn't we had a super downpour, not good for the temp control.

Jessie
3 Char-Griller Smokin Pros with SFBs
2 Of the CGs afterburner equipt

Post Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:38 pm
beef_tip rare
rare

Triple Threat wrote:
I just did some searching on the web and came across this. Looks adequate enough.

http://www.shopgetorganized.com/prodeta ... GO0406.asp

That looks like it would do the job well. I am going to order one of those.
Thanks!

Post Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:48 pm

I bought my 10' x 10' first up at walmart for 90 dollars, by the time you add the shipping to the grilbrella it will cost almost as much. And if the rain comes down at a steep angle your grill still could get wet.

Just my 2 cents

Jessie
3 Char-Griller Smokin Pros with SFBs
2 Of the CGs afterburner equipt

Post Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:45 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Those Ez-Up canopies are excellent. I'm looking at buying one this year as well - probably a 12x12 if I can't find the 12x14 YardBurner found.

I think I might persuade the folks at work to let us get some for our annual BBQ as well. Compared to rentals, these would pay for themselves after a couple of uses!
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:22 am
Ian Mack well done
well done

Anyone know where I can get an Ez up near Toronto/ Barrie in Canada?

Post Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:13 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

My brother-in-law and my cousin both have one of these canopies, and they are excellent. So I Googled it, and found the link for the website of their Canadian distributor:
http://www.ezupcanada.com/

Rona doesn't carry them, according to their website, and neither does Home Depot. They only carry more permanent shelters. I thought Canadian Tire might be a good idea, but all of their shelters are cheap knockoffs of the EZ Up.

I also found literally dozens of listings on eBay Canada for these canopies. That might be the way to go too, but I'd also check some of the sporting goods stores and the above link first.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Next

Return to General Discussion