Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion My dry aging refrigerator (pics) MEAT PICS FINAL PRODUCT!!!

My dry aging refrigerator (pics) MEAT PICS FINAL PRODUCT!!!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
HND medium-well
medium-well

i guess it seems pretty self explanatory. if you have any questions, fire away. Yes, it is working and yes it tastes real good.
Last edited by HND on Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:52 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:25 pm
SmokyOkie well done
well done

I'm very interested in dry aging beef, but know very little about it. Can you expound on the subject, you know, take us to school. I'm thinking you're supposed to keep it @ 52* or 53* for three weeks or something like that, but that's all I know.

What is that little metal box withe the electic cor sitting on top of the fridge?

Tim

Post Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:27 pm
grilltender john well done
well done

Oooh, oooh, I know, I know. It is a power supply and fan from a computer and it takes the moisture out of the inside of the fridge.
how you done did dat?

Post Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:34 pm
SmokyOkie well done
well done

If you take the air out, how do you keep the cool in? And if you want the moisture out, why is ther a sponge in the bottom? What % humidity is ideal?

Tim

Post Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:36 pm
johnnyreb medium-rare
medium-rare

I can't wait to read this answer. I'd love to hear step by step how you made the refrigerator and how you go about aging beef.

This is one thing I've looked and looked for information on the internet as far as a how to . . . . just never found an adequate source of information.

Post Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:18 pm
rogerja well done
well done

For dry aging, you want a temp of 38 degrees and a humidity around 60-70 percent.

Best to go at least two weeks.

Post Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:36 pm
SmokyOkie well done
well done

If that's the case, all I need to do is set my beer fridge a little warmer, and age it in there. What other rules do you need to follow? It seems like I've heard something about scraping every so often or something like that.

I buy whole ribeyes frequently, usually choice as opposed to prime (seems like if I hunt around, I can find choice that's =to prime in quality). It would be nice to dry age it before cutting and vacupacking.

Tim

Post Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:47 pm
HND medium-well
medium-well

i'll post my instructions on this in a few hours when i have time

Post Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:49 pm
SmokyOkie well done
well done

U D DUDE !

Post Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:09 pm
rogerja well done
well done

Not to hijack, but there are two ways of dry aging, wrapping in towels and replacing those daily and just letting meat sit (raised) and removing juices daily.

After a few weeks, trim the mold away. cut into steaks and grill or vacuum pack.

Post Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:32 pm

If this is not done very carefully are we not talking about some serious issues with toxins?

I saw on TV the other day where this chef from a famous restaurant in Toronto visted a meat wholesaler. This meat wholesaler offered dry aged meat. This stuff looks like it is straight from a morgue. After they trimmed it all up and served it, the meat looked as it should have and based on the comments of the people eating it the texture and flavours were out of this world.

Post Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:38 pm
rogerja well done
well done

The only thing that looks worse than pre-trimmed properly dry aged meat in pre trimmed improperly dry aged beef.

Basically what you want is for the entire surface to develop blue and white mold. Generally, the mold you're deveolping should be a good mold (think blue cheese). This should be solid. When it get runny or turns green, either cut that part off or throw the whole thing out.

When you trim the mold off, you have delicious, concentrated beef.

You can lose upt tp 30 percent of the weight when you dry-age.

Post Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:58 pm
HND medium-well
medium-well

sorry guys, been swamped today....

roger is right...if your meat is green start carving right away....but you want a blueishwhite sort of blue cheese thing going on....

its really not as dangerous as people make it seem because your body will automatically reject any bad meat approx .005 seconds after you bite it...trust me....its really really bad

Post Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:07 pm
HND medium-well
medium-well

alright finally got to be able to sit down finally....

allllright...

yes the thing on top is a power supply....however....all it is doing is supplying me with power to the squirrel fan inside the fridge....

air doesn't have to be pulled out of the fridge....it just needs to be moving...the squirrel fan probably pushes 3-4 mph of air keeping it moving....you just don't want stagnant air...

the Tupperware thing had 3 sponges standing up. that is for humidity....to show you how well it works...we were at 55% humidity without them, with them and the air I'm at 75%....the ideal humidity lies 70-80%...you'll hear varying opinions on it but its what has worked for our situation.

next is keeping it somewhere between 34-38*....just above freezing really....if its too low the meat will freeze and not really age....above and your meat will rot....

i like to keep it at 34....

I've tried the just laying it on a pan with a rack...and that seems to work the easiest....I've done the "wrap it in linens thing" and while it worked, it was tedious work. use cotton linens and change them everyday....

i will also be using this fridge to make biltong later in the summer....its a dryed South African meat that is preserved with salt peter.....that and dry voers....we are excited to try this....

we are starting 1/2 a strip loin in a week or so, I'll post pics as we go....

Post Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:45 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

We need to see pictures of dry-aged beef, before and after trimming in all it's glory. :wink:

And if you get the green stuff it would be very educational to post pictures of what bad indicators to look for too. :(

Pictures of the whole process would greatly enhance this thread. 8)

Next

Return to General Discussion