Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Independence Day - 4th of July Celebration

Independence Day - 4th of July Celebration

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Mon May 17, 2004 1:05 pm
stripegrill medium
medium

Because I work for our park district I don't get the 4th off, but I do get the 5th! On the 5th we have a big staff party for all of us who work the race in the morning, the parade, the carnival and the fireworks. I usually end up cooking for 35-40 people. The nice part is that we do this at our maintenance shop so there is a lot of room to set up multiple grills. That said, our typical menu is:

Appetizers--cheese, crackers, chips, etc.
4 beer can chickens (in the past this belonged to someone else but he no longer works here)
Steaks (donated by a local merchant--1.5" thick)--chimichurri style this year
Salmon (cedar grilled this year!)
Roasted potatoes
Grilled Onions
Grilled corn on the cob

And, if the director signs off on it, we will be going whole hog! There are 3 of us that love to grill so we figure we can handle this!

Dessert--someone elses department this year!
Beverages--byob

It sure makes for a nice way to thank the staff for the hard work!

Post Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:24 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Just four (or so) more weeks to go! It's next month. Anyone else cookin' up some plans.

The wife and I are going over last minute details before sending invitations next week.

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:09 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Stopped by the store on the way home from work yesterday and picked up 65 pounds of meat for the party. Got:
2 - Boston Butts
2 - pork shoulders
2 - 10lb. bags of chicken leg quarters
4 - whole chickens for BCC
and a package of pork rib tips for the chef :D

The brisket is all ready to reheat in it's vacuum sealed bags and I'm all set.

I started the smoker early this morning with the butts & shoulders. That's the convenience of gas, it'll maintain temps while I'm at work. Tomorrow I'll have both gas and charcoal smokers running for the chicken & ribs.

Everyone have fun this weekend, celebrate hard and play safe!

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:50 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Like Bob I hit the store yesterday too. Starting tomorrow I'll be preparing for Sundays Feast:
2 Pork Shoulders
1 Boston Butt
1 Brisket
20 Lbs Grilled Buffalo Wings
5 dozen ears of grilled corn
Homemade Maryland Crab Soup with Grilled Veggies
Chili Cheese Dip using my award winning chili :wink:
a load of peppers on the chili grill
misc. salads and slaws
baked beans
veggies
fruit
chips and dip
with brownies and grilled smores for desert.
Plus just a little beer.

So with that ahead of me you guys won't see ol' Grand Scale around the board this weekend.
So Be Good, Be Careful, and Have a great Holiday
I can't wait to hear everbodys tales.
Good Luck and Enjoy.

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:58 am
mudx2 medium-rare
medium-rare

That sounds great!! So far it seems the only Q I'll be doing is today, I have a couple pork tenderloins marinating right now. Maybe sunday I'll get to, we'll just have to see how it goes.

I am, howerver, planning a party in a couple weeks., and I like your diverse menu idea. There will probably be 14-20 people. BBC sounds good, the show factor alone is a crowd pleaser. Ribs of course and a barrel of Budweiser!!

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:42 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Happy 4th you all,
Don’t forget to post your pictures after all these great parties. Every time I read this thread, I get very hungry.

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:08 pm
MReynolds well done
well done

mudX2, wecome aboard. I see that you're right around the corner from me. Where about exactly? I live just off of the I-70 TR Hughes exit. Glad to see some new faces around here.
ImageImage
PETA - People Eat Tasty Animals

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:20 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Yes, Welcome mudx2! You & Mike ought to look up dkirn. He is right there in your neighborhood and last we heard was starting up a BBQ business.

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:21 pm
mudx2 medium-rare
medium-rare

Hey thanks MReynolds. You are right down the street, I'm at 94 and Harvester.

So are you going to the festival at the ballpark, or having one of your own? I think I'm just going to be all over town visiting people I just don't get to on a regular basis.

I am, however, marinating some pork tenderloins that my wife and I will enjoy tonight. Don't know if I'm going to have a chance to fire up the smoker the rest of the weekend or not.

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:49 pm
pizzakngjr medium-rare
medium-rare

MReynolds and Mudx2 I have had some meat from a shop or butcher in the St. Charles area, maybe around the magic house/Kirkwood area. It was at a friends a few years ago, either of you know the shop? Really good meats. Can't remember the name though. I live in IL and work at Lambert Airport, so I am another one close, and has anyone mentioned Pork Steaks on here yet? LOL

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:56 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I’ve done pork steaks in my smoker. Actually they were nothing but a Boston Butt sliced into 2-inch steaks. I treated them the same way as the butt and cooked them to internal temp of 195 degrees. It took them only 4 hrs to reach that temp (vs. 12 hrs. for whole butt), and they were very tender (I could have pulled them if I wanted too).

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:58 pm
MReynolds well done
well done

I've always heard that Pork Steaks are a St. Louis / Mid-Western thing. I must have 40 steaks in my freezer right now. Not a week goes by that I DON'T grill some pork steaks.

Z, you're right about those steaks. Same as a good 'ole butt, just sliced. And for you local guys, Schnucks has a sale this week on pork butts. I've been pretty lucky and don't get the sliced ones so that I can smoke them in my H2O smoker.

mud, you are right around the corner. I used to get over that way quite a bit a few years ago. There was a guy in your area with a mini jet in his garage that was a home build kit. I sure would like to see that thing in action.

pizzakngjr, I'm not familiar with that butcher shop. I know of Kenrick's over on Weber Rd, but that's further south. Rallo's has just recently re-opened a store near me on Bryan road. And there's Mannino's in Cottleville. That should be close to mudx2. There's also a place out in WingHaven, but I forget the name.

I was just thinking about Dave earlier today. I wonder what he's up to as we haven't seen him around here very much.

I'm actually heading out to Wentzville because they're having a free swim at the public pool and then heading to my bro's house for some grilling and fireworks. We generally just have a nice family get-together and make the neighborhood envious with our fireworks display. :D
ImageImage
PETA - People Eat Tasty Animals

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:00 pm

I'm gettin' ready to get out of here, but real quick there is new shop on midrivers mall drive, G & W. Family owned and has some good stuff too.

have great weekend!!

mudx2 out.

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:16 pm
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

Fired up the Bandera this morning now just waiting and maintaining temp at 225.

Loaded it up with:
12.5lb Brisket
9lb Picnic shoulder
5lb Turkey breast

Bob-Bqn-The expanded metal fire grate makes all the difference in the world. Be sure and put it in your plans for refurbishing yours. I cut mine 15 3/4 x 19 3/4 fits just fine.
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:20 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Thanks for the dimensions. BTW do you have a photo? I'd like to see the design.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion