Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Brining turkey?

Brining turkey?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:00 pm
jminion medium
medium

James
Injecting a solution added bird is by far the most effective way of adding flavor.
Jim
Weber Rancher
WSMs
Primos
Klose mobil
Ole Hickory EL-ED

Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:04 pm
jminion medium
medium

767dvr wrote:
BBQ'D Badger- I am planning on finishing the breast on the weber gasser to crisp up the skin some. I have tried this with smoked chicken, and it helped out.

Well, I have a 5.5lb turkey breast brining away. I cut way-way back on the salt,although I did put some old bay into the mix. I was planning on a 5-6 hour brine. I will take the turkey breast out tonight and inject and smoke on Wed.. I am also going to try(3rd attempt) at a rack of ribs 3-2-1 style. Any guess at the cooking time on the turkey breast(low and slow method)? Should I put the breast on a pan or place directly on the grate? Any help would be great. Thanks as always 8)

Cheers,
Ed
ps I am planning on using a cherry/apple/old # 7 for the smoke :lol:

Turkey breast cooked low and slow leads to a drier procduct and skin that is like leather. Meats that don't have internal fat and connective tissue do not lend theirself to low and slow cooking. Pit temps of 325 to 350 will give you better results.
Jim
Weber Rancher
WSMs
Primos
Klose mobil
Ole Hickory EL-ED

Post Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:21 am
767dvr medium-well
medium-well

Well, the bird was dry :cry: but it did have great flavor :wink: . I think I left the bird on too long.The temps stayed at 170 for quite a while . The skin was fine. The CEO(my wife) saved the day and made turkey salad out of the turkey breast and it is great. I tried a minion burn in the ecb but the temps went to 290 for a while until I took a bunch of coals out. After that , the temps were 210-225 or so. I am a newbieand I am still trying to nail down the temps. I will chalk this up to a learning experience. Any tips on how to improve would be great :lol: .

On a happy note, the ribs were unreal 8) . The ribs were fall off the bone tender and had a nice flavor. The kids loved the ribs. The 3-2-1 method worked like a champ. :roll:

Cheers,
Ed
ECB
Weber Silver C

Post Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:03 am
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

I agree with Jim. Increase your temp. I have always had great results with maintaining 325-350 with poultry. Give it another shot this weekend. You should be able to have your recipe and cook dialed in for T-Day

Post Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:09 am
jamesstew well done
well done

jminion wrote:
James
Injecting a solution added bird is by far the most effective way of adding flavor.
Jim

Methinks I agree.

Post Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:14 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

bump

Previous

Return to General Discussion